Old guide I found here – is it still valid?

Old guide I found here – is it still valid?

[Old post here.](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/17nwa3/foundations_of_a_work_wardrobe/?utm_content=comments&utm_medium=user&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=u_bellamira)

Is this still a good fashion guide? I just want confirmation from the community that everything there still looks modern and fashionable. If not, does anyone have anything similar I can go to the mall with – like a checklist with examples that are guaranteed to match? Even better if I can find them all at the same store.

Items of note and more detailed questions:

* Color scheme has to be black, white, or grey*.* Nude shoes are acceptable. **EDIT: This color scheme is mandated by the employer.**
* Can I ditch the skirt and dress for another pair of slacks and another blouse?
* Why: I live in Buffalo; it’s snowy and cold. If I have to save clothes to only wear in the summer, I won’t ever wear them.
* Can I responsibly (in terms of fashion and not looking like a tool) just get one pair of flats that will match everything here? I’m not comfortable in pumps for daily wear, but I do have a pair for special occasions.
* On that note, would something like [this ](https://www.sanuk.com/womens-shoes/pair-o-sail/1013819.html)or [this ](https://www.sanuk.com/womens-sidewalk-surfers/donna-hemp/SWF1160.html?dwvar_SWF1160_color=BLK)be a reasonable footwear option in this kind of environment with the outfits shown in the link above? I’m sure the answer is no but I had to ask – just like I always check to see if I can fit more pasta into my macros for the day 🙁 .
* “Timeless tote” – I need serious help on this. The purse/handbag department of stores freaks me out. I don’t know where to start. Any tips for avoiding buying something embarrassing would be much appreciated.

I am completely open to tips and advice. I, like many stalkers here, only know how to wear jeans and flip flops, and even then I don’t do it particularly well. I would like to dress *well* for my new job and be confident that I look good. 🙂

**EDIT**: I should have mentioned that this is a tech job HOWEVER the formality is dictated by the company – I know, it’s weird. The guys I have seen all wear nice slacks/suit pants, dress shoes, and shirts. Ties appear to be optional. The only two women I have seen were in tight black pants, blouses, and pumps.

View Reddit by bellamiraView Source

1. batsicle
    August 7, 2018 at 6:00 pm

The only item that looks really dated to me is the print dress

August 7, 2018 at 6:01 pm

[removed]

3. TeacupConspiracy
    August 7, 2018 at 6:01 pm

I think everything there still looks modern enough.

You can definitely ditch the dress and skirt for another pair of pants and a blouse.

What kind of flats and bag you need is going to depend a bit on your job and how formal your office is. The flats might be too sneaker-y for a more formal office, but fine for a more casual one. I just wear sneakers to work and keep shoes at my desk. My job doesn’t involve a lot of walking but I won’t commute in office shoes.

If you are carrying a bag now, what does it look like? I don’t have the kind of job where my bag matters at all (I don’t see clients, for example), so I just carry a backpack to work with the stuff I need for the day.

4. no-name_silvertongue
    August 7, 2018 at 6:04 pm

imo, this is valid.

are you stating that you only want black, white, or grey, or are you asking if you have to select items in this color palette? if it’s the latter, i’d say no. if you prefer color, then do those items in color. however, if you want your items to all coordinate (a la capsule wardrobe), i’d hone in on a color palette before you shop.

if you feel you won’t get much use out of a skirt and dress, ditch them when it comes to your every day wardrobe. however, id suggest having at least one nice dress for special work occasions. i will “dress up” for important meetings or a presentation. this makes a visual statement to others, and it makes me feel more confident.

wearing one pair of flats with everything will not make you a tool. however, i’d suggest at least two go-to pairs of shoes. when i find a comfortable work shoe, i buy it in both brown and black if possible. one of those colors tends to match all work outfits. i prefer a low heel, but flats are great!

i don’t know your exact work environment, but based on the style guide you’re asking about, i would advise against the sanuk shoes. the style and material look very casual and don’t go with the items in the style guide.

a timeless tote… i have been avoiding this in my own personal life lol. i carry a coach bag that was my mother’s in the early 90s. the leather has finally started to wear in certain places, and i know i need to replace it. i’m not sure what direction to point you in, but spending money on a quality leather handbag pays off in my opinion.

my final advice- adapt to the work dress code in a way that honors who you are. yes, there are rules to follow, but there’s a lot of leeway to express yourself within those rules.

5. citranger_things
    August 7, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Hey I really like this guide and I think it’s quite classic! It’s no longer on my pinboard but it was one of the first images I pinned when I was starting out. Pussybow blouses like the one pictured are not quite on-trend (not dated looking though!) so they might be harder to find in stores than they were a few years ago.

> Color scheme has to be black, white, or grey. Nude shoes are acceptable.

If that’s what you like! I don’t like how I look in black so if I were adapting this for myself I’d probably do navy, white, and khaki/nude, with brown leather for accessories (watch strap, purse, belt, some shoes. Not that you need all of those things every day). If you ever wanted to branch out in terms of color, I think the easiest way to do it is with a dress – all you need to worry about is coordinating it with your shoes.

> Can I ditch the skirt and dress for another pair of slacks and another blouse?
    >Why: I live in Buffalo; it’s snowy and cold. If I have to save clothes to only wear in the summer, I won’t ever wear them.

No, it’s against the law to deviate from a capsule wardrobe tutorial! Just kidding, you totally can skip the skirts and dresses if they don’t work for you for any reason. If you like them, they might work for you in the winter with fleece tights. You could stash your work shoes at the office and change into boots for your commute, especially if you have a nice long coat.

>Can I responsibly (in terms of fashion and not looking like a tool) just get one pair of flats that will match everything here? I’m not comfortable in pumps for daily wear, but I do have a pair for special occasions.

Yes! You can only ever wear one pair of shoes at a time so it really doesn’t matter if you wear the same ones. They will tend to get smellier though, so it’s good to alternate if you can. There are other multiple kinds of flats that could work with this capsule too.

>On that note, would something like this or this be a reasonable footwear option in this kind of environment with the outfits shown in the link above? I’m sure the answer is no but I had to ask – just like I always check to see if I can fit more pasta into my macros for the day 🙁 .

Relating to you hard on the pasta. It’s my personal opinion that these shoes are a step down in formality from the outfits in the capsule pictured, and don’t quite suit the look. Instead, consider leather [penny loafers](https://www.sperry.com/en/seaport-penny-loafer/884401373457.html?cid=SEM-G_Shopping_Seaport%20Penny%20Loafer&kpid=30897W-884401373457), [ballet flats](http://us.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-wide-fit-latch-pointed-ballet-flats/prd/8329077), [smoking slippers](https://www.jcrew.com/p/womens_category/shoes/flats/suede-smoking-slippers/H5523).

>”Timeless tote” – I need serious help on this. The purse/handbag department of stores freaks me out. I don’t know where to start. Any tips for avoiding buying something embarrassing would be much appreciated.

Nothing is embarrassing if it makes you happy! Depending on how much you like to carry (and assuming it fits your budget), I think pretty much any brown leather purse from Fossil would give the same effect as the one in the capsule. Or a black one, if you want to stay in your tight color scheme.

6. lumenphosphor
    August 7, 2018 at 6:22 pm

That first look bothers me so much because the shirt isn’t tucked in AND sticks out from under the sweater. Why do I hate this? …In any case it wouldn’t be super professional in like a very business leaning business casual space.

I really recommend if you’re going flats only like I am, to have at least 2 in rotation so that you can keep your shoes lasting longer. If, for now, that’s not something you can invest time/money in, that’s also reasonable. I would not wear the shoes you linked to the sort of space I imagine I’d have to wear the clothes seen in the guide you linked to earlier, they seem far too casual to me.

Find a minimal looking leather (or faux leather) bag that can fit *all* the things you need for the day in it and can still be carried comfortably. Unless it’s the sort of place that encourages it, I would avoid big logos etc etc. Weird prints or bag shapes (like butterfly or bee) are almost-arbitrarily placed into ‘gauche/tacky’ or ‘quirky/cute’ but it’s largely brand/price related so I would avoid things like that altogether.

All this said. I don’t know what your job is. If you were in tech, flip flops and cargos would be acceptable too. If you were in fashion, then it would be a wholly different kettle of fish.

7. jaimedieuetilmaime
    August 7, 2018 at 6:52 pm

I would also caution against wearing the same pair of shoes everyday, simply in terms of health and hygiene. Most thing I read say to give your shoes a whole day or two between wears to allow them to dry out and breathe, especially if you don’t wear socks or liners.

You can definitely switch out the skirt and dress for another trouser and top, but ensure they’re another cut and/or pattern.

I generally want to combine things so that it doesn’t look like I’m just wearing the exact same outfit. Of course, if that’s the look you want to go for, pick up 5-6 of each item in the same exact outfit, and just rotate them after washing/ “breathing”. But otherwise, pick unique items that you can rotate.

8. clearwaterrev
    August 7, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Those flats are likely too casual for an office where the other employees are wearing nicer business casual. if you want to stick with black flats, I suggest you look for styles like [this](https://www.zappos.com/p/naturalizer-samantha-black-leather/product/8816051/color/72), [this](https://www.zappos.com/p/nine-west-spruce9x9-flat-black-leather/product/8947922/color/72), [this](https://www.zappos.com/p/naturalizer-emiline-black-tumble-leather/product/8903859/color/21723), or [this](https://www.zappos.com/p/calvin-klein-lisette-loafer-black-glazed-tumbled/product/9066311/color/758831). If you want to buy one or two really versatile pairs of shoes, I’d look for something basic in black leather.

9. tourmalie
    August 7, 2018 at 8:55 pm

For the tote, I’d get something like the Madewell Transport Tote.

For shoes, I’d get 2-3 pairs of flats. Ballet, glove, loafer, smoking slipper, oxford, or chelsea boot should all be fine. Maybe 2 black, 1 nude. Do you think most people in Buffalo change their shoes when they get into the office in the winter? If so, you can leave a pair at the office. If not, you can probably get away with heavier duty shoes.

I wouldn’t worry about skirts and dresses. Lots of professional women don’t wear them. If you can find a pair of pants that you find flattering and comfortable, I’d get them in a few different colors. Maybe black, gray, and and then charcoal or khaki or a print. Honestly if you wore the same basic black pants everyday, it would likely be fine.

From there, just add a mix of sweaters and blouses. You can top off with cardigans, and couple of blazers (might not be necessary in the environment?), maybe some other accessories like scarves, and you’re pretty good to go!

Don’t do the trench in doors. Just do your regular seasonally appropriate outwear. Idk why the trench is on there for workwear and styled as part of the outfits.