If practicality and others’ potential judgments were no concern, what would be your “dream style”?

I have a weird longing/affinity for [“Magnolia Pearl”](https://www.pinterest.com/pin/157414949456050845/) styles: long fluttery lace petticoats over bloomers, a duster layered over a lace blouse over a silk cami, rumpled hair, [the general air of having just gotten out of bed in the French Countryside](https://www.pinterest.com/pin/163114817727447137/). It’s a more milk-maid version of Lagenlook.

To say it’s eccentric is understating it a bit.

It’s not only totally impractical for my actual life but also would be super unflattering on my tall full figured self, but oh man. Sometimes I just search “bloomers” on etsy and daydream.

What’s yours? Specifics and/or links encouraged!

View Reddit by ChazzyphantView Source

1. ChuushaHime
    July 9, 2018 at 11:09 am

I already wear [lolita fashion](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion) pretty frequently, but would love for styles like this to be more “socially versatile” (as in I’d like to be able to wear it to work, or that I’d like to go out in lolita without people stopping me every few minutes to comment or ask questions–I also wish it was called something else!).

2. bronsteezy
    July 9, 2018 at 11:57 am

I love this question! I’m a dork, so I want to take this even further outside the realm of reality.

I don’t know what to call what I like, but I’ll settle for “cyberpunk.” I would like to dress like I live in the next galaxy over, where we’ve achieved space communism, and we all do a couple of hours of software engineering/web development/data modeling per day to keep developing the infrastructure our beautiful society is based on!

I have a pair of leggings from aerie of all places that take me there. They’re a heathered green, with tech-y stitching and pockets. To go with that theme, the palette would mainly be black, white, metallic, and green/seafoam. We don’t have “seasons” on my planet – we built a semi-permeable weather dome that goes all the way into the stratosphere, and the temperature is democratically-decided on a regular basis by a non-intrusive telepathic survey. Clothes, like all consumer goods, are free of charge. They’re also made-to-order in your own measurements, maybe from a centralized 3D printer, and indefinitely recyclable.

Now that the dorky stuff is out of the way, I’d order myself a lot of

* form-fitting but breathable turtlenecks/t-shirts/sleeveless tops/dresses – materials that combine the best properties of silk, merino wool, rayon… and mithril
    * clear vinyl-like panels (rather than sheer) if I’m feeling risque
    * cargo skorts
    * basics redefined to mean bold lines where you want them – for me, that’s boat necks, straight hems, and raglan sleeves, maybe a well-done non-bunchy drop-crotch lol
    * silky trousers that don’t touch you anywhere except the waist and ankles yet somehow retain their shape
    * leggings and sports bras made of the most moisture-wicking fabric ever, woven with something that has bacterio-static properties (like gold, except more abundant, possibly even synthetic)
    * mid-calf combat-*inspired* boots that are well-constructed but weigh nothing
    * white Vans
    * sneakers screen-printed with illustrations of my choosing (intellectual property is a reactionary concept that has long been forgotten) – I’d start with Paul Klee and Jamie Hewlett
    * platform jellies because I’m ridiculous
    * wearable tech that looks like minimalist jewellery, e.g. a Fitbit that is just a gold bangle but uploads all the data into my Google Drive
    * piercings (cartilage, another lobe piercing, nips)
    * no purses or backpacks because I don’t even need to carry anything

3. SophieIsGreat
    July 9, 2018 at 12:20 pm

I would dress like a post-apocalyptic bohemian Indiana Jones – tbf I’d have absolutely no qualms dressing like this, the only reason I don’t is that it’s not compatible with my smart casual workplace, so it doesn’t really feel worth investing in a lot of this style when I could only wear it on the odd occasion! So I settle for smart casual with some more relaxed looks for the weekend, with a bit of a boho/grunge twist

Edit- re the inspo album people have requested – I will have a look and see what I can do at the weekend! There is already a really amazing Indiana Jones one which another person on here did (I’m on mobile so not sure how to put a link to it) which is worth checking out if you can find it! I’ll try and put something together with the specific twist I’m thinking of though 🙂

4. Geetuss
    July 9, 2018 at 1:06 pm

Sweatpants.

5. uncanny-mortals
    July 9, 2018 at 1:13 pm

I would absolutely *love* to dress like [Aya](https://www.instagram.com/ayasato_magnat?hl=en) [Sato](https://www.instagram.com/ayasato_official/?hl=ja) on a regular basis right down to the amazing hair, ink, and piercings, however I live in the Philippines where it’s still fairly conservative (especially if you live in the province like me) and typically pretty hot. I sport brightly colored hair and a somewhat gothic look so I’m used to stares, but I feel like going all the way would earn me enough judgemental stares and remarks to break my confidence 🙁

6. MsAnthropic
    July 9, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Corporate spaceship by day, urban goth ninja by night. Neither one flies in my casual suburban life in a conservative area.

Neither look actually works for me in the long run because I dislike the feel of fitted clothes around my midsection. This means no tight sheaths and no leggings if I can help it. I wear a lot of draped architectural dresses, which I’ve come to embrace as my own.

7. watchoutforips
    July 9, 2018 at 2:29 pm

I would definitely stay almost entirely within two spectrums. The first would be Queen Elf of the Forest to (as Brooklyn 99 puts it) the outfit of every steampunk heroine ever. Second would be merciful and wonderful to wrathful and dark.

I already wear lots of long flowy skirts with peasant tops or lace on my elf days. On my more steampunk days there’s combat boots and leather. However, I’d really like to go all out. I’m talking surcoats and overdresses, swords and daggers, some of those cool goth harnesses, everything. The only fabrics I’d wear would be linen, silk, denim, and leather. Maybe some chain mail or something.

8. Paula_Polestark
    July 9, 2018 at 2:37 pm

I once had somebody describe my ideal clothes to me as “what time period do I feel like today?” I’m already working on obtaining more items in the style(s) I like anyhow, but I’d probably breathe a little easier if nobody cared when I came from.

(If you want links, here are links: [goddess from way back] (https://www.pinterest.com/oysterbacon/clothing-inspiration-the-goddess/); [idealized medieval] (https://www.pinterest.com/oysterbacon/clothing-inspiration-the-tactician/); [90% proper Victorian lady] (https://www.pinterest.com/oysterbacon/clothing-inspiration-the-lady/); [attempting to swing in the 60s] (https://www.pinterest.com/oysterbacon/clothing-inspiration-the-superheroine/); [truly outrageous 80s star needs some help from the 70s] (https://www.pinterest.com/oysterbacon/clothing-inspiration-the-bard/); [across space-time to the dimension where everyone is a weird model] (https://www.pinterest.com/oysterbacon/clothing-inspiration-the-stand-user/))

As for practicality, if I wasn’t worried about getting stuck and causing a hazard, maybe I’d go for 1860s once or twice, just to see how it was? …I already know I should probably RSVP “no” to formal events.

9. bitingyourtail
    July 9, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Full-on romantic bohemian with a dash of goth a la Stevie Nicks. I love all the lace and velvet and dramatic silhouettes, but when I try it I just end up looking like someone’s weird aunt who practices energy healing

10. HollaDude
    July 9, 2018 at 4:00 pm

I want to be able to wear Indian clothes and fashion (I am Indian) without being seen as fobby, or discriminated, or treated differently. I’d love to wear a [kurti](https://www.azafashions.com/products/chanderi-flared-uneven-hemline-kurta-with-pants/52114) to [work](https://www.azafashions.com/products/thread-embroidered-gota-kurta-set/50805).

Here are some more examples of casual Indian wear.
    [Example1](https://www.azafashions.com/products/classic-checkered-handwoven-linen-sari/53149)

[Example 2](https://www.azafashions.com/products/checkered-detail-handwoven-linen-sari/53150/)

[Example 3](https://www.azafashions.com/products/vanilla-linen-hand-woven-zari-work-saree-with-unstitched-blouse/46510/)

[Example 4](https://www.azafashions.com/products/red-silk-chanderi-silver-golden-zari-worktunic/45881)

[Example 5](https://www.azafashions.com/products/thread-gota-embroidered-kurta/51550)

I’ve had friends who started doing this to reclaim their culture along with wearing bindhis and traditional jewelry and they told me they were definitely treated differently.

So I guess for now I’ll just deal with having Indian fashion be part of festival wear and have Americans ask me why they can’t wear saris because culture is supposed to be shared.

11. lumenphosphor
    July 9, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Cate Blanchett & Esther Quek inspired suiting. All day everyday. Also just sweeping lehenga cholis to events and/or dramatic Alexander McQueen dresses for…idk Fridays.

These are things I a) can’t afford and b) can’t justify owning because of my lifestyle anyway (super casual academia/tech stuff).

12. Hebridean_Black
    July 9, 2018 at 4:19 pm

I’d be swathed in [tulle and beading](http://projectfairytale.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/fairytale-dress-krikor-jabotian-ss14.jpg) like a ethereal queen. I’d wear elaborate [jeweled headpieces](https://instagram.com/p/BixIDuvHRC4/) all the time.

13. ffaythrowaway__
    July 9, 2018 at 4:51 pm

• The princess you imagine you look like when you’re playing dress-up on your 6th birthday

• Your put-together office coworker

• 2000s Teen Vogue model

• 50s teenager or housewife

• Victorian-era female fashion

• the stuff you imagine Greek goddesses in

• diabetes-inducing cutesy meets preppy

• Lolita fashion of (most) any kind – sweet, classic, gothic…

• symphony conductor. Cummerbunds, bow ties, those long coats with the tails at the end…

• prom dresses

• Ziegfeld Follies-era showgirl

• super high high heels

• miniskirts

14. belikethefox
    July 9, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Ridiculously luxe fabrics, perfect fits. Monochrome everything in extremely vibrant hues, color-coded for the day of the week with 7 outfits that I re-wear each week.

Monday — peach or salmon

Tuesday — pale yellow

Wednesday — greyish turquoise

Thursday — blood orange

Friday — blacks or other neutrals

Saturday — black or grey

Sunday — white/gold/silver

15. amelisha
    July 9, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Glamorous lanai granny is my ultimate dream. [Nothing but colourful, patterned caftans](http://ohjoy.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c6a0853ef01b8d224215b970c-pi).

I have a pretty stuffy office job, live in a frigid climate, and ride a bike everywhere, so it is 100% not practical, but [I really want to just wear this all the time](https://newcropshop.com/products/ready-to-ship-woodstock-caftan-chain-stitched-white-blue).

16. noliflere
    July 9, 2018 at 6:19 pm

I think I’d come up with variations on a Tolkienesque style. I might emulate an elf one day, Eowyn the next.

I came up with a fantasy style I find very exciting… sort of a “Gondorian tomboy chic.” Like, what if Patti Smith grew up in Gondor. There would be a lot of black and silver, leather jackets, embroidery, gems, everything rich yet subdued and severe and military inspired. I also call this look “Byzantine biker chick,” after getting very excited about Chanel’s Byzantine-inspired fashion show a few years back.

17. linnber
    July 9, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Space ninja! Shiny black bodystocking with a long hooded vest with huge pockets over. Belt with pouches. In sci fi material that breathes and keeps me warm in winter, and makes people move to the other side of the street…

For summer, short shorts and athletic tanks with built in bra.

18. laurasaurus5
    July 9, 2018 at 7:22 pm

Vintage space librarian.

19. anemoi-
    July 9, 2018 at 7:58 pm

Not my dream style but I’m very short (5’0″) so I wish I could wear more menswear! The closest I can get is like button up shirts or styles that are menswear specially reformulated for women.

20. blahdimir-nabokov
    July 9, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Personally, [I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable](https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/00/4c/d9004c02a476c6c3fc3bb428fcae7b91.jpg).

Jk I’d do what I already do and wear all black all the time, but be allowed to go a little more casual in the office. It’d also be fun to surprise people with the odd punch of color every so often — a hot pink blazer, a bright red pair of high-waisted pants, a fuschia hand-woven silk saree, and the like.

21. Scootoocs
    July 9, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Dita Von Teese’s entire look, including the awesome burlesque outfits and more conservative outfits.

22. BlueberryPoops
    July 9, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Coroporate ninja assassin.

23. vagueconfusion
    July 9, 2018 at 9:41 pm

My personal style inspo is well beyond my student budget but my [Sorceress Album](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/89754l/sorceress_of_the_high_tower_a_maximalist_witch/) captures my Witch aspirations to a T.

Heavily beaded or embroidered maxi length garments with a lot of fabric and voluminous sleeves and velvet. Enormous hats and cloaks, Edwardian blouses and full circle ankle length skirts. Buying individual pieces whenver I see them (almost always autumn and winter purchases) and sewing my own clothes is the only way to make that a reality though most of my clothes are less patterned or less dramatic than I’d prefer.

24. thriftthreads
    July 9, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Stepford-wife chic in 2018. My dream outfits include pearl encrusted everything, tweed cropped blazers, sundresses, drippin’ in diamonds and pointy pumps. Like million dollar lewks. But I have no money and a very hands-on lifestyle, so not very practical. For reference:

25. the-black-polka-dots
    July 9, 2018 at 10:18 pm

All of the cashmere! Its socially acceptable but not practical for my lifestyle. I would get so many clothes from Johnstons of Elgin. I would also have a drawers just for custom gloves and hats. My hands are small and there aren’t any gloves that fit and are my taste. I would design hats that could go with my outfits but not look lopsided with my hair.

26. greenwithpandas
    July 9, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Not necessarily for myself, but I would love if dyed hair and tattoos were considered more acceptable. I think it would give a lot of people freedom to express themselves and introduce new trends and styles to celebrate self-made difference.

27. InsertWittyJoke
    July 10, 2018 at 12:25 am

Mori Girl meets Pride and Prejudice? I want the comfortable, country vibe with many layers and flowing fabrics but with the refined, elegant edge of regency era gown.

I like both styles but Mori is too childish while Regency is too stuffy. Somewhere in the middle is my jam.

28. saraschooler
    July 10, 2018 at 12:56 am

Entirely natural fibers that are super flowy and wooden/stone jewelry so it’s all natural mixed with some sort of stylish utility belt so I can carry stuff around with me.

I know I could actually carry the look. I’m just unwilling to invest in those pieces because they’re expensive, best suited for twirling around in a field, and look/feel best barefoot (I live in a city).

29. zulacar
    July 10, 2018 at 12:57 am

Quite honestly, I’d probably just never wear clothing again.

30. yozhik0607
    July 10, 2018 at 1:09 am

If it were socially acceptable to wear anything anywhere I might wear Garnet Hill Green Cotton Asian wrap organic cotton pajamas every day. They are so comfortable, feel amazing, I get so many compliments and my boyfriend thinks they are my cutest look and I do too.

31. eiffelwaffle
    July 10, 2018 at 2:28 am

Leather jacket, crop top, sari, broken in combat boots. Only problem is I guess I’m I’m not from the right part of the world to rock the sari and crop tops are kind of a Hard No in public if you’re over 20 where I live 😭. Oh, and all of that has to be secondhand and in amazing condition lol

32. Smol-Fren
    July 10, 2018 at 2:39 am

I’m so glad you brought up that style, I have never heard of it before but it’s gorgeous.
    It’s similar to how I would dress if I could, but mine is a bit darker. I love [“Strega” fashion ](https://www.pinterest.ca/search/pins/?q=strega%20fashion&rs=typed&term_meta%5B%5D=strega%7Ctyped&term_meta%5B%5D=fashion%7Ctyped) or [“Dark Mori”](https://www.pinterest.ca/search/pins/?rs=ac&len=2&q=dark%20mori%20fashion&eq=dark%20mori%20fashion&etslf=4495&term_meta%5B%5D=dark%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta%5B%5D=mori%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta%5B%5D=fashion%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined) lots of layers of flowy fabrics with a forest witchy feel. I guess it’s not entirely impractical but I don’t know where to find the sort of pieces that could make this look and not break the bank. :'(

33. danceparty3000
    July 10, 2018 at 2:52 am

I don’t know what like this exists, but basically like a blanket wrapped around the torso like a midi-length, potato-sack-shaped tube dress, secured in place somehow so I don’t have to worry about it falling off. It doesn’t have to be blanket material. Silk for special occasions, cotton voile for picnics. As long as it isn’t too stiff.

34. toukaaa
    July 10, 2018 at 3:10 am

Decora, but in deep jewel tones, metallics, and cheetah print.

35. maine330
    July 10, 2018 at 4:38 am

A cross between elven Lord of the Rings style and medieval gothic witch. I’d look *awesome*. But I’d get a lot of weird looks at Costco.