How to Find What You’re Looking For Between All The Insanity (a.k.a. How do I Go Shopping?)

Hey!

I’m going to have a chance to go to Georgetown, DC next week and I’ve been saving up to find a few nice pieces to add to my wardrobe. I’m trying to really pin down what sort of look I’m going for and I think I have it somewhat figured out – [Here’s my Pinterest Board](https://pin.it/2f5cr4lueeo67t) – simple, tough, laid back, unpretentious, with Laura Croft influences. lol. My color palette has become grey, brown, olive green, wine red, some grey blue, cream/sand. Combat boots in the fall w/ some flats here and there, sandals in the summer. Mostly fitted items but I do have some thick, cozy sweaters (because texture!), cardigans (because I like the way they look), and most purses are leather. Think henley shirts, military jackets, and fitted tanks. I’ll pair this with my Superstars sometimes. I really like those shoes.

But then I also have my sweet, girly side where I have dresses and hats, purses and lace. It just depends on how I feel and what the weather says. This side is delicate (not twee) and quiet with pale colors, curls, and simple jewelry.

I say all that so that you have an idea of what I’m looking for.

So as I’m researching what is available in Georgetown, I’m just finding a bunch of…..random stuff. Shirts with a bunch of ruffles or t-shirts with random images on them (which possibly do have a place in my wardrobe, selectively). But there are no stores that really fit what I’m looking for. Everything in these ‘stylish shops’ – [here’s an article I found](https://washington.org/DC-focus-on/georgetown-shopping) – are not even close to my style. I’m going to check out some jeans at Rag and Bone because I need some new skinnies and you all really seem to like R&B, but otherwise, all the other stuff I’ve found are just….not me.

Do I need to go into every store and look around? Am I just doing shopping wrong? Is it literally just hunting for a piece that will work in between all of the other stuff that won’t? I’m probably thinking about this too much but I’m genuinely curious how you all find things that fit into your wardrobe/style.

TIA!

View Reddit by mondaynightsuckedView Source

1. yellowpolish
    July 9, 2018 at 4:11 pm

You’re overthinking it. Make a mental list of the items that you need (you mentioned skinny jeans) and shop with those in mind, but don’t force yourself to buy anything if you don’t love it. Georgetown is a great area to wander around in as well. Grab a snack or coffee and browse shops you wouldn’t normally. It’s just like shopping for anything else. We go to the grocery store with a list, but who doesn’t take an extra minute to look at the cakes in the bakery aisle?

A couple of things did concern me about your post:

>But there are no stores that really fit what I’m looking for.

Um…then why are you going shopping in Georgetown? If there are other shopping centers that work better for you, go there.

> I’m going to check out some jeans at Rag and Bone because I need some new skinnies and you all really seem to like R&B,

It’s cool that you want to try a new brand of jeans out, but I really hope it isn’t solely based on the suggestions of this subreddit. There are plenty of brands and styles here that some people love and others quietly dislike.

2. Hoosiergirl29
    July 9, 2018 at 5:50 pm

Very rarely is there going to be one store that has every single item you’re looking for, even if that’s just because X store’s pants don’t fit you and you need pants. There’s been occasions that zomg I want every piece a store has, but then that same store has nothing the next season (LOFT, looking at you). Shopping is a mix of knowing in your head or making a list of items you need (grey t-shirt, black pants, white sneakers, statement heels in blush) and also being open to the chance you find something you didn’t know you needed.

In your example, if you need new jeans — you could go try them on at Rag and Bone, Madewell, LOFT, Gap, Anthropologie, Banana Republic, and any other store that catches your eye. I call this power shopping — you’re shopping for a specific piece or a specific occasion. If you don’t really know what you want, you could pop down and go walk into some unique stores that they don’t have in Tysons. For example — Intermix, COS, &otherstories, Brandy Melville’s standalone, Billy Reid, Alice and Olivia, Tuckernuck, Massimo Dutti, or Karen Millen (although they carry her at Bloomies). Maybe you find something. Maybe you don’t. 75% of the time when I go to a store because they have a sale, or something catches my eye, I don’t buy anything.

3. pootykitten
    July 9, 2018 at 7:08 pm

It most definitely is all about hunting for the pieces that will work in between the stuff that won’t because most clothing you come across won’t work. I can’t think of any store that has every single item I’d ever want. Even my old reliables sometimes don’t have anything I want to bring home with me.

I totally get having the exact piece/outfit in mind and wanting to be able to walk into a store and purchase…then never finding that item, regardless of how common it would seem. That being said: the styles you are looking for are pretty attainable and similar to what I gravitate toward. If you are looking for some nicer pieces, it will take some hunting, but that’s half the fun of finding an amazing piece.

4. 4O4N0TF0UND
    July 9, 2018 at 7:41 pm

For the “laura croft, simple basics” side of things, honestly try REI. They’ve got a ton of good quality basics; as a athletic + busty body type, it’s been the source of most of my closet during this period while loose tops are most of what I can find in stores!

5. jessi1834
    July 9, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Learning my color season (e.g. what colors go best with my skin tone) helped me a ton and that knowledge helps me eliminate certain colors when I shop meaning I won’t even try them on. For example, I learned that I’m an Autumn color season so browns, reds, creams, golds, jewel tones, warm tones, etc. look the best on me. Cool tones (grey, black, white, true greens, etc.) do not.

I notice that warm and cool tones are both in your palette. If you’re lucky enough to be able to pull off both brown and grey than that is awesome! But for me, most grey (unless it’s a warm grey) looks terrible and brown looks great. So finding your color season may help you feel less overwhelmed while sorting through the racks! Good luck!!

6. inksplatz
    July 10, 2018 at 3:33 am

You don’t need to go into every store! If a store isn’t you, there’s no need to go in. If you see a store that looks interesting, go on in.

Re: the stylish shops list…just because the article says these are must-visit doesn’t mean they are. For what it’s worth, I’d say at least half of these shops are not cutting edge fashion for my city (I know we all have different tastes, but I’m more than a little surprised that Alice and Olivia made this list of “must-stop shops”). What’s stylish really, really differs by location.

Quite honestly, I find shopping in new cities pretty difficult because I don’t know where the shops that carry my style are, and I don’t know where the locals shop (Paris stresses me out for this reason). You can get lucky, but I wouldn’t stress about it. If you see clothes you like, awesome. If not, you can always come back. It’s all about the journey.

7. M0nstrous
    July 10, 2018 at 5:10 am

I’ve been trying to add black pieces and linen dresses to my wardrobe, so lately I’ve been searching on online websites “black” and/or “linen,” and browsing through their selection for any item that sticks out and matches with my style.

I know that oversimplifies the shopping process, but I’ve found that it’s a good start to narrowing down what I’m looking for.