Are monograms cute or tacky?

Are monograms cute or tacky?

In your opinions, do you think monograms are cute or tacky? On shirts, hats, bags etc.

Pictures of what I mean:

[https://imgur.com/89B7mC3](https://imgur.com/89B7mC3)

[https://imgur.com/xW1tXx1](https://imgur.com/xW1tXx1)

View Reddit by iztiniView Source

1. AutoModerator
    July 4, 2018 at 3:25 am

Your post has been added to the queue for manual review and approval.

Meanwhile, please have a look at the [FFAQ](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/wiki/faq) to ensure your post meets our submission guidelines. You can also [search the subreddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=enter+your+search+terms+here&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all) for topics similar to your question, browse our [library of guides](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=flair%3Aguide&restrict_sr=on) or post your query in the [daily questions](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=simple+daily+questions&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all) thread.

If your post is not approved despite meeting the submission guidelines, it is likely that it’s better suited for an existing thread.

*I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/femalefashionadvice) if you have any questions or concerns.*

2. danceparty3000
    July 4, 2018 at 4:12 am

I like jewelry of initials, if that counts. Otherwise, it has to be real subtle and placed somewhere inconspicuous, for the practical purpose of identifying lost garments, or sewn artfully, by hand. I’ve just come to associate it with the million Etsy shops that are making bank selling cheap crap with basic embroidery machine fonts.

3. tyrannosaurusregina
    July 4, 2018 at 4:23 am

I strongly dislike them except on jewelry, except for kids who may need help sorting their things out from siblings’/friends’/fellow students’ things. Or possibly for adults in situations like sports teams where it helps them pick their bag out of a group quickly.

More than one monogram worn at the same time looks very silly to my eye.

4. hamalily
    July 4, 2018 at 4:26 am

IMO, pretty unnecessary everywhere. I don’t know if that translates to tacky, but they’re certainly loud and dated nowadays.

5. RagenChastainInLA
    July 4, 2018 at 4:47 am

Monograms are _de rigueur_ here in the South.

6. redalmondnails
    July 4, 2018 at 5:03 am

I think they read very “sorority girl in the South”. If that’s your thing, go for it I guess. I don’t think they’re tacky in the way that the tramp stamp/whale tail thing of the 2000s is tacky, but I do agree with the other comments here that they’re kinda useless and not particularly stylish IMO.

7. karendipityy
    July 4, 2018 at 5:57 am

I don’t love the swirly monogram font, but the second one is ok?

In general, it just depends on if your style is Southern/preppy already.

8. todobetweenmeals
    July 4, 2018 at 7:00 am

I think it really depends on how it’s used. E.g. I got a leather wallet monogrammed for a mate’s graduation; and another friend has monogrammed a few shirts’ pockets and even a matching polkadot skirt and crop set with her initials- it all looks very vintage/mod.

But perhaps it’s just that it was already cool pieces that she embroidered her initials on.

9. princetongirl1
    July 4, 2018 at 7:06 am

I don’t really care for the type of monogram you linked but I think the smaller, more subtle type that Madewell does is really cute.

Like [this] (https://blog.madewell.com/2014/09/23/the-modern-monogram-why-stop-at-your-initials/)

10. slappedsourdough
    July 4, 2018 at 11:11 am

Not a fan. Makes me think of your mom monogramming your backpack so you don’t lose it at school or something.

11. PrincessPineappleIV
    July 4, 2018 at 12:28 pm

I have a monogrammed crossbody from Etsy. I love it; it’s super fun, casual and easy. For me, it’s perfect for summer. It’s one of those items that IDGAF if it’s “tacky” or not because *I* get so much enjoyment out of it.

12. chiefladydandy
    July 4, 2018 at 1:18 pm

To me, this is a case where size matters. Huge monograms like the one on the shirt at the top of this post aren’t what I’d call tacky, but they aren’t exactly what I consider good taste, either. They feel pretty dated, as a lot of posters have said.

However, a small monogram on an accessory can look really nice. They feel dated, but they can make a classic piece a little more interesting or turn it into an heirloom. A man’s pocket watch with a monogram, maybe a wallet. A monogrammed handkerchief or silk scarf, where the minivan is small and artfully done. Something small that isn’t necessarily on display all the time. I have a monogrammed padfolio I use for work that makes me feel like a professional who actually has their shit together. But the monogram is engraved on a small metallic plate, it’s not huge or very obvious.

For context, I’m a Philadelphia suburbanite. My Yankee heritage is definitely informing this opinion.

13. dakatiex
    July 4, 2018 at 2:25 pm

I think it all depends on the size/style/placement of the monogram. I just purchased a [tiny Cambridge satchel](https://us.cambridgesatchel.com/products/tiny-satchel-in-leather-peach-pink-patent-saffiano) and had it monogrammed with gold block letters. It looks so cute and classic. I also love when canvas totes are monogrammed as well as kids book bags (looks too cute). I’m not a fan of monogrammed clothing as it seems very sorority girl, but to each their own.

14. just_another_classic
    July 4, 2018 at 2:26 pm

In the South, they’re more the norm around what I call the “pearls and prints” crowd. Elsewhere, they feel a little bit tacky. So, I would say it depends on where you are.

15. funobtainium
    July 4, 2018 at 2:28 pm

I don’t get the appeal, but this seems like a southern thing.

I do like a[ VERY subtle monogram, like this](http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-00rQwUyova0/TcdT7fC6XwI/AAAAAAAABFA/e6EorlWl3hA/s1600/photo+3.JPG).

16. agnathastone
    July 4, 2018 at 2:38 pm

I like them if they’re not super obvious. I have a monogrammed bag my mom got me in Italy that I love, and I got my boyfriend a monogrammed steel wallet for his last birthday.

I also desperately want a gold necklace of my name though, so take that as you will.

17. greenwithpandas
    July 4, 2018 at 2:58 pm

I don’t mind them for homewear, like having monogrammed towels, but I personally don’t find them cute or popular in fashion. The sorority southern girls comment is spot on.

18. amelisha
    July 4, 2018 at 3:22 pm

I love preppy stuff as a general rule, but I can’t get on board with monograms.

I know my name, I never have to go to summer equestrian camp again since I’m an adult now and my parents can’t make me, and those are the only two reasons I can think of to have my initials on my clothing.

19. ccrsy
    July 4, 2018 at 4:35 pm

9/10 – tacky. In small doses I can find them cute and maybe even functional, but most of the time… the design is tacky, the placement is tacky, the purpose is vain/tacky.

20. Chazzyphant
    July 4, 2018 at 5:17 pm

I think it depends on the product, placement, and style.

To me, a monogram on a men’s shirt at rib level in red thread sans serif is *the sexiest most attractive thing in the world*. Curly font initials on a paisley tote bag….eh. It’s very Buffy the Sorority B****

Monograms that “make sense” ie, on a bespoke shirt, wallet, leather goods, or a set of family totes makes sense. Monograms trying to fool people into thinking you have all-custom goods are a fail in my op.

I do go back and forth on initial letter charms and necklaces. I used to have a huge, thick, brushed silver lower case “f” that was so fun on a ballchain pendant necklace. (My first name does not begin with “f”. I was a badass up until age did me in)