ROMPERS: For or against?

ROMPERS: For or against?

I have a complicated relationship with rompers that looks pretty simple to the casual observer of my closet, whom I trust wouldn’t be any of you thoughtful women!!

I own several rompers: I have a long-sleeved one with shorts, a sleeveless one with pants, and a short-sleeved one with shorts.

Yet I’m somehow still not actually sure if I LIKE Rompers. I find [this sketch on the subject](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWacMAes2dA) painfully relatable.

My black long-sleeved-with-shorts romper has an elegance about it, but it’s also undeniably a bit ridiculous and I have to be in the mood to enjoy a bit of ridiculousness when I wear it.

My sleeveless pants-romper is ALSO black and is *decidedly* hot and professional looking (the pants are wide, too, and the whole thing is just really comfortable) so even if I decided to cancel rompers, that one would stay.

The short-sleeved shorts-romper is dark-plum-colored and has a really weird button and for some reason gets dirty really easily. I bought it for some ridiculously low price in the TAKE IIIIIIT!!!!!! section of the already-clearenced items and I’m starting to see why no one wanted it, even though it looks cute.

Whenever I see elegant women in rompers I feel stupidly relieved: “Ah, look at you in your romper. I’m so glad I have so many at home.”

But like, if I felt less conflicted I probably wouldn’t need ALL THE VALIDATION I COULD GET from literally random passersby.

WHERE DO YOU STAND ON ROMPERS?

View Reddit by I_eat_faeriesView Source

1. Darushi-chan
    July 2, 2018 at 6:31 pm

I am personally against rompers for myself–however if you like them, wear ’em is my opinion. I can’t wear them myself because I go to the bathroom a stupid amount of times a day and I refuse to basically undress every time I sit down on the toilet.

2. rosewatergirl22
    July 2, 2018 at 6:31 pm

I love rompers and jumpsuits. They’re so cute

3. MsNewKicks
    July 2, 2018 at 6:37 pm

If I really like the look of them, I’ll buy them though as others have mentioned about rompers, I’m not a fan of having to just about take it off to go to the bathroom so it takes some planning when deciding to wear them. I like that I can get short ones and not worry about my butt or worse accidentally showing though!

4. hairlikemerida
    July 2, 2018 at 6:47 pm

I like the idea of rompers, but I can’t pull them off.

5. crowcrown
    July 2, 2018 at 6:56 pm

I have the world’s longest torso, apparently, because rompers/jumpsuits and one piece swimsuits are never long enough. Sucks, because the concept appeals to me in a big way.

In short: FOR in concept, AGAINST in execution.

6. sci_fi_wasabi
    July 2, 2018 at 7:03 pm

I have this ideal concept of a romper in my head – black, breezy fabric, worn with a sun hat of some kind, by a graceful skinny girl – that’s so effortless and cute yet utilitarian. But in reality, I’m short and chunky, shorts that length in that kind of fabric lead to all the material being sucked into my crotch when I walk, and I’ve never worn a sun hat in my damn life.

7. ak2553
    July 2, 2018 at 7:04 pm

I like them but it’s SO hard to find one that fits. I have like no torso and gangly legs and arms and every time I wear a romper with short legs everyone gets a view of my underwear and entire bum. I’m not even that tall–I’m only 5’2. I usually don’t have a problem with things being too short on almost any other articles of clothing. I do have another romper that has long pants and it’s much better. I’m for rompers for anyone who wants to wear them! As for me, I’m still a little bit on the fence but slowly warming up to them.

8. _lovelei
    July 2, 2018 at 7:06 pm

I have a bunch of rompers! I love them especially in the summer. I don’t like putting together outfits so throwing on a romper is just more convenient and I look like I kinda tried.

9. fakebloodrealketchup
    July 2, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Love the look of rompers! Don’t like peeing in the nude!

10. omgcow
    July 2, 2018 at 7:17 pm

I think rompers are super cute and I would definitely wear them if I could
    but I have a long torso and stubby legs, so I’ve never been able to find one that fits me right. I’ll see it on the rack and think “oh wow, that’s cute!” and then as soon as I put it on I think “oh wow, this was a mistake!”

11. loulh1
    July 2, 2018 at 7:18 pm

I love them! I have a couple in black (short and long sleeved) and my favourite is a bright blue one I wear all the time, it’s ridiculously comfy and looks like I’ve made an effort!

12. DConstructed
    July 2, 2018 at 7:25 pm

I think rompers are adorable and jumpsuits are wonderful looking.

But the torso has to be the perfect body length for you and of course you’ll never be able to pee without dropping the whole thing.

13. Violet_Hill
    July 2, 2018 at 7:56 pm

I like rompers, but only when wearing them to the beach/lakeside. So I have three rompers that I put on like five times a year :/

14. otterpoff
    July 2, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Yes to the jumpsuit! My favorites are loose fitting, deep v- necks with wide pants – no shorts for me. I wear either a bralette, cami, or t-shirt underneath so I’m not half-naked when I use the bathroom. That’s only a minor negative for me. I love how comfortable and truly effortless it is. The best parts of pants and dresses in one.

I’m going to the Brooklyn Museum to see the David Bowie Is exhibit. I’m planning to wear a black pleated jumpsuit. [It’s my homage to one of my favorite Kansai Yamamoto outfits he wore.](https://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/01/12/david-bowie-japan-kansai-yamamoto/)

15. condescendingcupcake
    July 2, 2018 at 8:11 pm

I always find myself changing out of rompers after planning to wear one. Rompers definitely look cuter on the model than on me lol. Especially since I have no curves it makes me look like a frumpy potato

16. queenbeluga
    July 2, 2018 at 8:16 pm

This whole thread is making me think that rompers may actually be more suited to guys bodies than womens lol. No need to undress to pee so long as it unbuttons far enough!

17. danceparty3000
    July 2, 2018 at 8:31 pm

They are literally mini dresses that are harder to be inappropriate on windy days. Yeah, you have to undress when you go to the bathroom, but you’re in a stall for a reason. We all go to the bathroom with our genitalia and butts out and exposed, why should my bra/boobs scandalize me suddenly? Rompers do have a problem with being unflattering a lot of the time, but that’s because they are often designed like a top + shorts instead of a mini dress with legs, so the silhouette ends up being like you tucked a loose fitting top into loose fitting, low-waisted shorts. Look for the ones with a high waist and less structured “shorts” if you have issues with them.

18. slappedsourdough
    July 2, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Love jumpsuits but somehow can’t get behind a romper for myself personally.

19. DoctorNettle
    July 2, 2018 at 8:45 pm

I like rompers but I think they’re sort of…logistically challenging. It’s difficult to find one that fits properly. From a garment construction perspective, a romper has to tick a lot of boxes (waist, shoulders, bust, torso, rise, and seat) while most pieces usually only have to satisfy 2-3 measurements. I’d never try to find a romper at a store like F21 or H&M because there’s no way the construction would work for my body type.

20. LapinSweet
    July 2, 2018 at 8:52 pm

I love [rompers]( https://imgur.com/a/UKeswTb) and jumpsuits! I have an average length torso though so I’m probably biased. I’ve got pants ones, super shorty ones, ones that almost look like a dress. I even got made fun of recently by some girlfriends who thought it was ridiculous that I wear them out dancing. Something about them being afraid of being walked in on in the restroom. Honestly the person who opens a stall that’s in use is going to be a lot more embarrassed about it then me sitting there in my bra!

21. meedlymee
    July 2, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Rompers are awesome! They’re like a dress but I don’t have to worry about the wind. I know I am naked in the stall when I pee but no one is looking, and when I emerge from the stall I look cute. I can’t buy them online though, I need to make sure they are long enough.

22. kss605
    July 2, 2018 at 8:57 pm

I love rompers, my favorite is one that I found randomly (while drunk) wandering Target. It’s navy and has a cinched waist and the perfect length shorts. My second favorite is from Stitch Fix and its multi colored and SUPER light weight.
    I also just picked up this [jumpsuit ](https://www.target.com/p/women-s-boiler-suit-coveralls-a-new-day-153-olive-xs/-/A-53284780?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Women+Shopping_Brand&adgroup=SC_Women&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9020516&gclid=CjwKCAjwmufZBRBJEiwAPJ3LpvuSHsQ_I239MvzxizIy0n2AK77v-kB9w3X89cq6A4BH8Q2XuX_-lBoCvkoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) and feel like it’s very trendy, but still safe.

23. trashlikeyourmom
    July 2, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Love the way they look on others, hate the way they look on me.

I literally look like i cut holes out of a garbage bag and put it on like some kind of hobo poncho. Makes me so mad because they look so cute on everyone else.

24. atouchofyou
    July 2, 2018 at 9:48 pm

I don’t like them because they read very juvenile to me, and I have problems with dressing like a child. That said, others are, of course, free to wear whatever they want. I just really don’t like the look of them.

25. electricbluecedar
    July 2, 2018 at 9:52 pm

I think they’re really cute on everyone else but I hadn’t found one for me until last week (I’m 6 ft tall so getting one long enough is really hard)! It’s a shorts and sleeveless romper in baby blue and white stripes and it fits me perfectly. Basically i think rompers are all about fit – if it fits you properly it will look cute, but if it doesn’t you will look like an adult in a toddler’s onesie lol

26. tyrannosaurusregina
    July 2, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Look cute on others, look not cute on me. I prefer matching top and pants, which gives the same kind of look but I can get different sizes!

27. the-black-polka-dots
    July 2, 2018 at 10:05 pm

I don’t think I like rompers because there are less possibilities. Its just a romper. With dresses I can wear tights, jumpers, turtlenecks, collared shirts, cardigans etc. I can also do that with jeans or skirts too. I’m sure its just me but rompers just feel one note.

28. darth_tiffany
    July 2, 2018 at 10:26 pm

I don’t have a strong opinion on them. I think they can be cute with the right look. Personally I’ve never found one that didn’t look baggy or otherwise silly on me.

29. ChuushaHime
    July 2, 2018 at 10:30 pm

I disliked rompers because they made me look like an adult baby. Then I found a couple that fit me properly which are cute. Still dislike most of them on myself but they can look cute on others.

I cannot, however, get behind the full jumpsuit look. They remind me too much of full overalls, which I really dislike.

30. yellowpolish
    July 2, 2018 at 10:40 pm

I think rompers look really adorable, but the leg length is generally a bit short for my personal preference. Rompers simply don’t look good at a knee-length. Also, I find the leg openings to almost always be too wide for my skinny legs. You can see right up to my panties due to the extra space.

I’m much more comfortable with jumpsuits that have pants, particularly wide culotte-style pants. I mitigate the torso length issue by sizing up and choosing an option that is meant to look a little loose or flowy.

31. kellypaysthepiper
    July 2, 2018 at 10:49 pm

I think rompers are GREAT if they fit you well. I have a long torso and for whatever reason I have never found a romper that I like that fits…

JUMPSUITS however…I have INCREDIBLE luck with my long torso and 5’10” frame. I have sold a few on PoshMark but if I hadn’t I could wear a different style jumpsuit every day of the week if I wanted to. Skinny strap, short sleeve, long sleeve, flowy, form fitting, flight suit, denim, canvas, etc.! I. Love. Jumpsuits.

Wish I had luck with rompers though. 😢

32. apprehensiveabtthis
    July 2, 2018 at 11:06 pm

Against, but I’m 5’6″ and weigh 201 lbs, so that may be why.

33. atrueamateur
    July 2, 2018 at 11:10 pm

Rompers–at least, modern ones–and I are not good friends. I’m an exaggerated hourglass, so I generally need separates or A-line dresses to look good.

34. superbass333
    July 2, 2018 at 11:18 pm

I LOVE rompers, they are my favorite piece of clothing I own and I am always on the look out for more! I have a lot of friends that have the same problems that the video you attached talks about but I think what could get rid of all of those problems is the perfect romper. Once you find one that hits all of your check boxes you’ll fall in love just like with any other outfit. My favorite things about my romper is that the angle the the shorts part are cut makes my legs look longer (I’m pretty short so yea) and the other thing I love about rompers is that you can have casual rompers, dressy, or formal rompers! They are also versatile, if I don’t want to wear it as a romper I tuck them into a pair of high waisted pants and it’s a whole new out fit (:

35. desertsidewalks
    July 2, 2018 at 11:47 pm

I’ve seen very few rompers that wouldn’t look better as a dress. I’m also never sure if the romper trend is going to last another season.

TLDR: if you find a romper that you love right now and won’t be upset if it goes out of style next year, go for it. Otherwise, stick to dresses.

36. brnnwngt
    July 2, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Do whatever the fuck makes you feel good. *shrug*

37. serendipitybot
    July 3, 2018 at 12:02 am

This submission has been randomly featured in /r/serendipity, a bot-driven subreddit discovery engine. More here: /r/Serendipity/comments/8vnk7m/rompers_for_or_against_xpost_from/

38. MissDemeanor1
    July 3, 2018 at 12:09 am

I absolutely love rompers. However, I’ve only worn my rompers to the pool this summer. In my mid-thirties I wore rompers without a second thought. As I’ve gotten older (I’m 39), I’ve started self-conscious wearing rompers because I feel like they may be too juvenile for someone my age. I do still rock jumpsuits though. This summer, I got rid of one of my rompers and replaced it with a linen culottes jumpsuit, which has become one of my summer wardrobe staples.

39. bb_ramblings
    July 3, 2018 at 12:15 am

Why haven’t they invented rompers with buttons in the crotch or something? Like a onesie haha it would solve everything!

40. ScoutG
    July 3, 2018 at 12:19 am

I like how they look on others, but I’m tall and they never fit me 🙁

41. 126crayonbox
    July 3, 2018 at 12:29 am

Rompers and jumpsuits are actually one of the very few trendy things that usually fit me pretty well. I love them!! I have a million of them, it’s getting a little obsessive, honestly.

42. ScoutFinch12
    July 3, 2018 at 12:33 am

I’m definitely Team Rompers and Jumpsuits. I’m short, so i have an easier time finding rompers that fit than i do jumpsuits, but I’ve found a few petite ones that fit. I have mostly solid color rompers because I’m old and I think florals make me look like I’m trying too hard to recapture my lost youth, but I do have one blue and white striped romper. Both of my jumpsuits are solid black, and they’re the closest thing I can wear to pajamas at work.

43. galacticprincess
    July 3, 2018 at 12:43 am

Rompers will always remind me of the hideous “gym suits” we were forced to wear in junior high school. So that’s a big NO for me.

44. theflyinglime
    July 3, 2018 at 12:47 am

I’m objectively fine with them and appreciate seeing other people pull them off, but I’m overweight and short so somehow they always make me look like a literal bag of dicks. Like someone picked up a pillowcase and collected every loose dick in one place, and then added a ponytail.

45. Liz4tin
    July 3, 2018 at 12:54 am

I like rompers, but I can’t get over the fact that if I need to pee while out, I have to get naked in a public toilet.

46. MoistDampSoggy
    July 3, 2018 at 1:33 am

They were cool like 8 years ago. Now I’m over it

47. kasuchans
    July 3, 2018 at 1:38 am

I love them! I’m medium short (5’5″), quite skinny, very few curves, and all leg. I love showing leg, too, so the shortness of most rompers doesn’t bother me. They’re comfy, they’re dresses that I can wear without worrying about if I’m flashing my underwear all over the place, etc. I don’t care about getting naked in the bathroom, honestly. The door’s closed, it’s just the top half of my body. Doesn’t matter at all. I like jumpsuits too and own one but they’re harder to fit.

48. eganmay
    July 3, 2018 at 1:52 am

I was against them until I had nothing to wear and pilfered the SOFTEST romper ever from my mother. I will admit that the bathroom experience is a tad difficult, but it’s a learning process.

49. Bosquerella
    July 3, 2018 at 1:55 am

[I was firmly against for a long time, until I came across some of the Universal Thread ones on a target clearance rack on a 102F day.
    As you can imagine, I piled a few in my cart along with a case of LaCroix and now I find myself asking a lot of difficult questions.](https://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/couples-speed-suit.jpg)

50. Somepie_somepie
    July 3, 2018 at 2:00 am

I personally do not wear them because of my height. Between camel toe and exposed cheekies I have trouble finding any that fit my long torso….that being said, I love them on my shorter friends and I think they are super cute and fun.

51. notnowfetz
    July 3, 2018 at 2:06 am

I look a lot younger than I am so for that reason I was wary of rompers because I don’t want to look like an actual child. I also have long arms and legs and torso so that’s an added challenge. However, the allure of not having to put together an outfit was too much so I’m exploring the world of rompers and jumpsuits. I found [one on Amazon] (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014LTE67S?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title) that I’m really into.

52. abbiecadabra
    July 3, 2018 at 2:19 am

Pro-romper, even at my advanced age of 30. Dark colours with tights are safest and really not that different to wearing a short dress (but with added modesty). Light colours for daytime events, I’m also in favour of (I wore [this romper](https://imgur.com/DY1s4XF) to a party on the harbour and it went down a treat).

The only kind of romper I’m not so keen on is the light coloured casual romper with, for example, sandals or sneakers. Fine for uni, but it reads a bit young to me now.

Overall, though, I give rompers a solid yes. I just find them a bit more interesting than a dress, and less likely to cause a wardrobe malfunction when the wind blows.