Ladies who carry designer purses, how often do you buy a new one?

Ladies who carry designer purses, how often do you buy a new one?

What is currently in your inventory? Also, I know this is a little taboo, but what is your annual income? Do you ever wish you could buy more? Or that you bought less? I will go first:

I am in my early 20s and currently make over 70k a year. I have no school debt (got a full academic scholarship because of my high school performance) and I live with my parents since work is so close, so even after saving and paying my portion of bills, I am left with quite a bit of money. I buy a new purse probably once every 1-2 years. I currently have a coral colored Coach shoulder bag, a mauve Kate Spade crossbody, a tan Tory Burch crossbody, and a large pink turnlock tote from Coach. I also have a black Coach bucket bag that I got as a gift when I turned 18. I do have my eyes on a TB purse atm ([this](https://www.toryburch.com/juliette-embossed-mini-top-handle-satchel/44342.html?cgid=sale-handbags&dwvar_44342_color=405)), but I am wondering if I am spending too much atm…i got my other Tory Burch in March so I feel like it is too soon.

View Reddit by HistoricalMarsupialView Source

1. Chazzyphant
    June 29, 2018 at 7:02 pm

I make just north of 80k but I’m the primary breadwinner for a two person household and live in a very HCOL area. So my purchases are all vintage or second hand! I’m up to six Coach purses now: an orchid hobo, a cream pebble small bucket, a black glove tanned Willis mini vintage, a vintage large bucket/hobo in black, a glove tanned saddle bag in black, and a vintage cognac tote.

Those were bought at about 6 months intervals. I’m still looking for a pure white small bucket–I saw it in a consignment store and didn’t get it, and regret it, so it’s on my “if I see it on eBay” list.

To be honest, I don’t use them all as much as I should (the tote only goes to interviews, for example, as it’s heavy/narrow for everyday use), and I have other “fun” going out bags for evening wear that are all non-designer.

So I’d say it depends on your wear. I sometimes default to one of two leather flexible/soft totes I have instead of a real purse, and then I’ll go back to the real purses for a few months. If you carry your purse every day, I’d say go for it.

2. HuggyMonster69
    June 29, 2018 at 7:10 pm

I have a Stella McCartney falabella tote that is my go to. I bought it on my 21st birthday, while in college working 10hrs/week minimum wage.

I’m the kind of person who will save for YEARS to get a nice thing. Current record is 5 years for a pair of black suede shoes that I bust out at every formal occasion

3. bassoonerorlater
    June 29, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I’m currently a college student working a part time, $10/hour job but I do love my purses. I got a brown leather Fossil satchel for Christmas about 3 years ago and it’s still my favorite bag. In the past two years, I’ve gotten a Rebecca Minkoff crossbody and large tote at TJ Maxx for probably $200 altogether, a thrifted vintage Dooney crossbody, a thrifted Kate Spade crossbody, and a vintage Fossil handbag. All in all, I’ve probably spend no more than $600 on lots of leather bags, and only paid full price for the first.

4. Encajecubano
    June 29, 2018 at 7:28 pm

I live on my own pretty cheaply but make far less than you. Early 20s as well. I thrift all of my clothing but have no problem throwing down for a good bag. I mostly have Kate Spade which i’ll buy on super clearance or through fb (got my most used crossbody for $30!) and now starting to move into vintage Coach (just got a gorgeous navy leather satchel for $35). I have two Longchamp totes that I use every day for work and a Longchamp backpack for concerts/casual errands. All bought super cheaply in Europe. But all of that was bought steadily over a 5-6 year period- maybe one bag every 6-9 months?

On a more ridiculous note, I just bought a [Gucci soho disco](https://lauraslittlelocket.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fullsizeoutput_34c1-1440×1190.jpeg) duty free in Europe. It was such a deal with the pricing but I was SHAKING at the register- never spent so much money at once so frivolously in my life lol. I did budget for it. But it will last forever, hold its value, and match and elevate every outfit, so I hope I get as much use out of it as I’m expecting…

That being said, I’m done buying bags for the next 5 years, at least. Lol

5. throwaway567801
    June 29, 2018 at 7:49 pm

I’m not really a bag person, but I’ll put my thoughts down regardless. Hopefully it’ll help you in terms of perspective 🙂

I’m turning 23 this year and made $120k last year. I don’t spend a lot of money in proportion to my income overall, but I do spend relatively large amounts on limited individual items. I justify it in that the people who notice quality will see it as a reflection of my success, and therefore be more likely to hire me.

For work, I’ve got 2 Prada totes (nude blush and black), 4 designer jacket/skirt/dress combos + 4 coats, Jaeger LeCoultre watch, and 3 pairs designer pumps. I’ve also got a Mikimoto pearl necklace and a Tiffany eternity band (not married, but I wear it on my left ring finger).

I buy only the things I love and use them a ton. I wouldn’t spend big money on an item I didn’t absolutely love solely because it’s expensive. I’m happy with my items and not planning on buying more unless I have a need for it.

My thoughts are that if you’re second guessing whether or not you can afford it, then you probably can’t afford it. I’m not sure if it’s a finances issue or a volume issue that you’re worried about.

Do you have a budget? I take my average monthly income and after mandatory expenses, I have a set % of my income that I put into savings, and same for spending in other areas as well. After graduation, I also had no debt and already had a reliable car so my focus was on building my professional wardrobe and saving aggressively to buy a place. My next big purchase will be trading in my car, again mostly for the purpose of keeping up my professional image.

6. tyrannosaurusregina
    June 29, 2018 at 8:20 pm

I’ve carried the same Coach bag (large duffle in black) almost every day for 20 years. I have a navy Cerruti that I carry for weddings and a black Longchamp for when I need something smaller than the duffle. I am obviously not a bag person!

I don’t make a lot of money myself these days, but I bought all those purses when I was making about $80,000 a year.

7. tapesided
    June 29, 2018 at 8:40 pm

My annual income is a little more than yours, but I do have a lot more expenses than yours (car, insurance, but still live at home)

I buy a designer purse once a year. This is year I am eyeing the Gucci Soho Disco, or a Chloe Drew Bag.

But last year, I bought two, the Givenchy Antigona and a YSL WOC. Whoops..

8. throwawayaccount9132
    June 29, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Luxury/designer bags are my favorite accessory and biggest splurge category! I hope adding my context helps.

About me: early 20s, $100k salary, HCOL city. I’m not married yet but for all intents and purposes, my partner (also 20s) and I are DINK in this moment, so our combined expenses are quite low/reasonable and our combined income is ~$260k. We’ve never had debts to pay off, and my biggest savings are my retirement accounts that I max out.

I have eight luxury bags: cheapest is ~$900 and the most expensive ones are Chanel ($4-5k). Three of them were generously gifted, and the rest I bought. Full disclosure, I prioritized completing my bag collection, so it was a lot of money to spend early on, but all of the purchases were planned and thought over. The most important thing to consider is that if not for my dual-income situation, my expenses would be a lot higher and my collection would not have grown quickly, nor would I have prioritized it. Edited to clarify: We don’t share a joint account and our money is separate, but expenses are reduced for both of us given our living situation.

I feel “done” with my collection for the near future – so nothing is planned – and I don’t wish I bought less, and I’m glad I wasn’t tempted to buy more. I’m prioritizing my spending on bigger things now, like a wedding, house down payment, and hopefully a dog in the next 5-7 years 🙂

9. lacemonster
    June 29, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Off topic, but how is everyone in this thread in their early twenties and making $100,000 a year?! That’s £75,000 in my currency and most 40-year-olds I know with very respectable jobs don’t make that!

10. wannabejetsetter
    June 29, 2018 at 8:57 pm

I only have “entry level” luxury purses (MK, TB, KS). My main work bag- a Kate Spade tote- has been going strong for about 18 months now. I feel no need to replace it. I also have 2 Longchamp Le Pilages (one is 5 years old and has been “retired” to a travel/beach bag), an older Kate Spade satchel that I never really use, and 4 or 5 crossbodies. And 3 wallets/wristlets. Right now I feel like my purse collection is sufficient, my next purse purchase will likely be a true luxury (Gucci, Chanel, Chloe).

I don’t think your or my income is really a factor here. Do I wish I could buy more? Obviously, yes. Do I regret some of my purchases? Also yes.

Do you budget? Do you have savings goals? Do you spend your entire paycheck every month eating out/traveling/buying clothes? Those are the questions you should be asking, not if it’s “too soon” to buy a new purse. We can’t tell you that but your bank account can. 🙂