Inspo Album: Aaliyah – – 90’s Hip Hop Fashion Queen

Inspo Album: Aaliyah – – 90’s Hip Hop Fashion Queen

Hey ya’ll! Like many of you I’ve been loving the 90’s vibes going on in fashion. I’ve especially been diggin’ the baggy bottoms with fitted/crop top look, and who better exemplifies this look than the late great Aaliyah Haughton. Even in oversized clothes, she always managed to put a sexy spin on an outfit.

Common elements:

*sunglasses
*bandanas
*lipstick/gloss
*OVERSIZED
*medallion/statement necklaces
*sneakers and boots

Anyway, [here’s the album](http://imgur.com/a/O02cy21), enjoy!

View Reddit by seacookie89View Source

1. haj1234567
    May 30, 2018 at 5:41 am

We need to bring back that overall crop top. It’s too good to leave to history.

2. gitsgrl
    May 30, 2018 at 10:15 am

RIP

3. dejligkaereste
    May 30, 2018 at 11:35 am

Wonderful album OP, makes me wanna totally renew my wardrobe!

Rest in peace to a fashion icon and queen of hip hop ❤️

4. coffee_for_dinner
    May 30, 2018 at 11:36 am

She was proper 90s cool. I remember reading about her death in 2001… RIP Aaliyah.

5. margz007
    May 30, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Yess I feel like a lot of these looks are coming back in! Awesome inspiration album, OP!

6. k2212
    May 30, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Love this!!!!!! What incredible style!

7. mbaby
    May 30, 2018 at 2:16 pm

this album gives me life… the bandana + sunglasses + red lips + oversized clothes + sneakers look is just so damn cool

8. vickigunvalson
    May 30, 2018 at 2:41 pm

She was such a bad ass, love her style

9. toastyghostie
    May 30, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Did my eyes deceive me, or was there a picture of Topanga from “Boy Meets World” in there?

10. OrigamiKoi
    May 30, 2018 at 4:55 pm

That last look is everything.

11. sentimientomami
    May 30, 2018 at 5:32 pm

I love this album! I have wanted to be Aaliyah and Left Eye since I was little. Aaliyah’s video outfits are all incredible, as are Left Eye’s, and you can still see their influence in every modern pop star, especially Rihanna.

Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about hip hop and it’s influence on fashion (especially in the 90’s and the resurgence of streetwear that we’re seeing now). I could talk about this subject for days.

One thing I find really fascinating is the shift from baggy fashion to the combo of a crop top with baggy pants that really dominated in the late 90’s. I think it has something to do with the shift from female hip hop artists trying to “fit in with the boys” and gain respect in the early years. Once they gained acceptance in that space they broke out and allowed their sexuality to show. There’s also the influence of Apache’s “Gangsta B—-” song and accompanying video featuring baggy clothes waning, and the rise of more risqué female hip hop artists like Lil Kim and Foxy Brown. I’m going to stop myself here because this could be a whole book.

12. Noodlesoupe2
    May 30, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Where can I get baggy jeans like hers?

13. Paula_Polestark
    May 31, 2018 at 2:22 am

Aw yeah, 90s hip hop is great. My dad bought me Aaliyah’s last CD and I always thought she looked so cool with those orange shades.

14. augustrem
    May 31, 2018 at 5:17 am

Thank you for this!

I just realized that [this](https://i.imgur.com/uUtUCfL.jpg) was basically my preferred silhouette in high school, lol.

15. TamarindTextiles
    June 2, 2018 at 5:53 am

Wow it’s so different to see this through 2018 eyes. In the 90s I thought this was super sexy and didn’t see the strong “borrowed from the guys” influence.