Absent Minded Professor- inspiration album

Absent Minded Professor- inspiration album

For these looks, I was going for a Hollywood version of a young science professor.

What a person would wear if they were mostly living internally in their own head, but still had to look professional, and somehow it came out fashion.

Where boho meets prep, polished meets disheveled chaos, and workplace practical meets cozy artist.

Album link

[https://imgur.com/a/VA9NcTV](https://imgur.com/a/VA9NcTV)

View Reddit by KaleidoscopicBulletView Source

1. coffee_for_dinner
    May 30, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Love the concept of the album, it felt more Emmett Brown from Back to the Future than Indiana Jones to me and I kinda love it. Besides, I see Tilda Swinton, I upvote.

I wish there were more female “absent minded academic” characters in Hollywood so we could see more fashion like that. Amy from the movie Her dresses in a similar manner, but sadly there’s very few images of her on the internet. All you see are collars… But I’m sure the outfits are cute lol.

[Amy 1](https://i.pinimg.com/originals/79/f3/cf/79f3cf9d389cf0bdcd8f2c53364ea4da.jpg)

[Amy 2](https://static1.squarespace.com/static/50d144f6e4b05aff8e5b9c8c/t/52d4ba77e4b00e7652d82b2d/1389673081868/her-movie-2013-screenshot-amy-adams.jpg)

[Amy 3](http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/her-amy-adams-matt-letscher.jpg)

[Amy 4](http://www.btchflcks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/her-movie-2013-screenshot-amy.jpg)

2. Jennajsm
    May 30, 2018 at 5:21 pm

I’m seriously dying over those green cords. I need them in my life, but of course the things I found on google and liked are out of stock.

But I love the album! I’ll definitely be saving some of this for inspiration.

3. StrawberryCurves95
    May 30, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Love this album! Eileen Fisher has lots of pieces that would fit in nicely. Those flowy tops with relaxed fit trousers…yes please.

4. getoffmy_areola
    May 30, 2018 at 5:32 pm

as an aspiring “absent minded professor” you have my desired aesthetic down 😀

5. downyballs
    May 30, 2018 at 5:34 pm

As an absent-minded young professor, I’m intrigued to see this, but I’m visiting another campus with the slowest wi-fi I’ve ever seen and can’t get anything to load : (

6. liminalcreature
    May 30, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Wow, this is my style, slightly elevated. I’m a technologist. You nailed it.

7. ktrows
    May 30, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Adding “Absent Minded Professor” to my list of terms I use to describe my goal aesthetic. I just added a bunch of these to my pinterest inspo board. I always have trouble reconciling my desire to look simultaneously EffortlessCaliBoho and PreppyNewEnglandAcademia, so I am all about this.

8. _PerplexedPickle
    May 30, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Super love!

9. youKCme
    May 30, 2018 at 6:06 pm

YES YES YES! That’s exactly the way to describe what I’ve been looking to create as I start my student teaching! I love it, thanks for putting this together!

10. aldrea
    May 30, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Some serious goals in there. Much better than my “university sweatshirt/tee and yesterday’s pants” but ith a lazy uni-brand top you can still look at least team-spirit’y, and if you teach mwf nobody knows you wore it Tuesday too. 😉

11. yozhik0607
    May 30, 2018 at 6:39 pm

WHOA . . . the second picture is giving me like eerie vibes of my mom. That is SUCH a my mom outfit, except she is a 70yo woman, an actual professor and not a model (and not that absent minded 😉 She always makes self deprecating remarks but I think she has great style (lots of Eileen Fisher, linens, witchy caftans – she has a slate gray version of the garment in pic #2 that she wears with these little red sneakers sometimes that we call her witch outfit, brooches and layered oversized drapey pieces. I used to steal her kimono type pieces to wear over short shorts and little tank tops back when I was 13 or 14). So much of this is style goals for me too! I love this album!! <3 Standout for me is #6 (long green tunic with black caftan over it, tan slide mules) – I want to recreate this outfit completely.

12. citranger_things
    May 30, 2018 at 6:44 pm

I’m super into it, and I relate to a lot of the looks. It’s intellectual/academic bohemian instead of festival bohemian. There’s no attempt to consciously sexualize the body. Shoes are mostly flat and comfortable, lots of oxfords and loafers and sneakers. Pants are accidentally-trendy-but-kinda-mom-jean high-waisted jeans or cropped or looser pleated styles. Low maintenance fabrics, especially sweaters and rumply linen. Menswear cuts like button-downs and blazers.

This is really close to how I try to dress! Here’s my pinboard [https://www.pinterest.com/epeeista/fashion-everyday-chic/](https://www.pinterest.com/epeeista/fashion-everyday-chic/)

13. deviltje
    May 30, 2018 at 6:47 pm

I really like this one, well done.

May 30, 2018 at 6:54 pm

[deleted]

15. mydoghasocd
    May 30, 2018 at 7:01 pm

okay, you’re legitimately a genius and you should go work in Hollywood as a costume designer.

16. skydart
    May 30, 2018 at 7:12 pm

This is so Diane Keaton to me.

17. groundhogcakeday
    May 30, 2018 at 7:15 pm

I hope you won’t take this as a criticism – you nailed it in most of the album. But as a scientist I almost stopped scrolling with the very first image – my gut reaction was that no scientist would wear that. Those nightmare sleeves. Though I can see what you’re going for with that image – maybe an English professor?

The second image was much better but still made me think of two things: Edna Mode’s “NO CAPES!!” and the trendy shirt my mom bought me that I could not put a lab coat over. Scientists are pragmatic creatures and sometimes a 5 min ‘add one reagent’ is worth a day of progress, so why would I own a shirt that would keep me out of the lab? I mean, I could have put a lab coat over my wedding dress if I had to. (Sorry mom). I’m glad I kept scrolling, though. I love most of the looks.

The scientist aesthetic wants form and function to remain united. As a rule, we tend to prefer clean, clear, straightforward lines. Which doesn’t rule out flowy or drapy or layered but we begin to balk if it approaches fussy. Deliberately disheveled might be careless or creatively unmatched, but not too cluttered. As a result we tend towards minimalist and basic which is pretty boring so again, thanks for this album. I’m going to search for the slacks worn by the blonde with the watch – I already have the shirt.

And my apologies for being too literal and pedantic – I know that’s not the purpose of an inspo album but that too is the nature of our tribe.

18. namaslay_383
    May 30, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Love it! Thanks for putting it together!

19. charliethesloth
    May 30, 2018 at 7:25 pm

This is so specific, I love it. 3 & 4 are my favourites.

20. streetwearlurk
    May 30, 2018 at 7:45 pm

mix the colors and fabrics of this album with one of the more put together indiana jones albums and you’ve pretty much nailed what I want to look like 90&#37; of the time

21. usskawaii
    May 30, 2018 at 9:44 pm

I had an English professor who used to dress just like that, especially the looser pieces in the album (she was very plus sized) and incorporated a lot of floral and traditional African accessories from her travels. This post brings back memories. Rest in Peace Dr. Papay, we miss you

22. jwonh
    May 30, 2018 at 10:49 pm

I had a professor like this! She is the absolute epitome of this style, although she’s not absent-minded at all—she’s amazing! A great philosophy professor who taught me a lot. She actually makes a lot of her own clothing and has a brand, but I think her brand is more Alice in Wonderland-y as opposed to what she wears to work.

May 30, 2018 at 10:51 pm

[deleted]

24. Procris
    May 30, 2018 at 11:04 pm

Welp, I’m a sterotype and I just learned the name of it.

25. sweadle
    May 30, 2018 at 11:28 pm

Science professor? Doubtful.

Poetry professor? Yes.

26. pastapastas
    May 30, 2018 at 11:33 pm

Does anyone know if the type of jacket in pic 4 has a specific name? Like I’d love a blazer in that style but I’m not sure how to look!

27. runs_with_unicorns
    May 31, 2018 at 12:10 am

I never realized how much I wanted to give off an absent minded professor vibe

28. elphaba87
    May 31, 2018 at 12:54 am

It’s like you’ve seen my wardrobe! The blazers! The flowing shirts! The corduroy! (Ps. I’m a uni lecturer and I’m quite absent-minded)

29. lifesaboxofchocolate
    May 31, 2018 at 1:15 am

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH

30. kelseykelseykelsey
    May 31, 2018 at 3:30 am

There is a girl in my office who dresses like this and I am honestly excited to see what she’s going to wear each day. Great album!

31. ocicataco
    May 31, 2018 at 4:09 am

Im seeing grown-up, bookish Luna Lovegood and I love it!

32. SemiempiricalTwinkle
    May 31, 2018 at 9:28 am

I think you just described the number one aesthetic I was going for throughout my degree when I had the energy to plan an outfit instead of the trusty jeans+jumper combo (though seeing #3 makes me feel better about my “uniform”).

The outfit in #4 is PERFECT and if anyone knows where to find a similar blazer I will be eternally grateful

33. graceb123
    June 1, 2018 at 4:19 pm

Omg that striped green blazer – LOVE. Would be cool to know it existed somewhere in plus sizes…

34. cricketlickit
    June 2, 2018 at 2:00 am

I feel like the aesthetic of this album is exactly why I cannot find appropriate clothing to wear as a professor.

There’s literally half a boob hanging out in one of these outfits. That is not appropriate for a classroom setting, whether you are a teacher or a student. God, I sound old, but seriously, that is ridiculous.

I never show bare shoulders or wear anything above the knee in the classroom. I still have students hitting on me. There are days I want to show up in a dress snuggie (not really sure what that would look like, but whatevs…). I just want to not be sexualized by my students.

Most of these read art teacher to me – I would never wear jeans in the classroom (at least not until I have tenure somewhere…). As others have mentioned, I think different departments are very different in their dress codes. I know environmental studies folks (not environmental science so it’s humanities based) who rock chacos and cargo shorts. Even in my own department, the old, white dudes rock jeans on the regular. Maybe it’s sexism, maybe it’s because I’m new to being a professor, but I’m gonna err on the side of dressing like I’m Mormon.

35. godonvideocall
    June 2, 2018 at 4:46 pm

You described my whole style! This is exactly what my Pinterest looks like😂