Return of the 2000s: the good, the bad, the new

Return of the 2000s: the good, the bad, the new

It seems a natural progression that the next mainstream fashionable decade will be the 2000s. News sites have been saying it’s coming although I haven’t been seeing it in regular stores yet. This was a time where I started studying and finished studying, before bill payments, insurance shopping and back pain, so I have a soft spot.

Some of the questionable popular styles from the decade I can remember:

-Long tight t-shirts with (possibly pleated) hipster micro mini skirts

-Hipster jeans

-Tweed replica suits and imitation pearls in the style of ladylike

-juicy couture tracksuits

-Tiny handbags on the shoulder

-Fake tanning

-Girly headbands

-Polos with miniskirts

-Ugg boots

-Emo skinny jean scene hair and black eyes

Inspiration: The OC, The Hills, Mean Girls, s1 Gossip Girl, 90210 s1, The Sweetest Thing

Some of the looks I enjoyed:

Natalia Vodianova in Tom Ford designed Gucci

Gemma Ward in Chanel shows

Devon Aoki in Betsey Johnson

Ballet flats

Long line tops

Preppy

A designer that has recently put out literal interpretations of 2000s is the newish label I.AM.GIA, much of it very body baring but I liked the miniskirt on its own, and would wear such a piece with a covered top and maybe tights.

A quick album with examples of things mentioned: [https://imgur.com/a/XXF6N0a](https://imgur.com/a/XXF6N0a)

Folks, what are your feelings to the decade (nostalgia, distaste, ambiguity etc.) and how do you think you will incorporate these styles?

View Reddit by BosBraidView Source

1. Anonymous
    January 1, 1970 at 12:00 am
  2. monsieurcannibale
    May 28, 2018 at 10:10 am

I absolutely hope not because I hated the 2000s when I was in them – its styles absolutely do not suit or flatter me and I feel like we’re only recently getting out of some of these styles!

Of course super hip people have been wearing different things for a while now but a lot of people are still wearing very low rise jeans (maybe not the absolute lowest ‘need to shave my pubic hair’ styles) and I still see dresses [like](https://i.imgur.com/D9jk84C.png) the ones in your album around as well. Also, the last time I bought a new basic t-shirt, which is maybe two years ago, I was still not able to find anything but longline styles. (As a petite person this matters to me more than to most, but they were as long as they’ve been for more than a decade.)

It seems to me that in order for things to become popular again, usually (not always) they need to have left the scene pretty much completely first. Maybe I’m wrong! But I REALLY hope not.

3. mielipuolikuu
    May 28, 2018 at 10:17 am

I don’t see late 2000s (long shirts, emo style, tunics and skinny jeans) coming into fashion yet. The early 2000’s aesthetic (low-rise jeans, big hoop earrings, pink tracksuits) has been popular in Tumblr for a while.

I kinda have a love-hate relationship with the early 2000’s fashion. I was in elementary and middle school back then. The early 2000’s fashion is kinda… trashy and cringy but that’s why I kinda like it. It’s hard to explain, haha! It’s interesting to see how the style will manifest again and what early 2000’s trends will be the most popular.

4. ChuushaHime
    May 28, 2018 at 11:21 am

I love miniskirts and have been seeing pleated schoolgirl skirts popping up again in mall stores so hopefully more of those will be popping up more places.

Also I appreciate a lot of the fitted looks, especially the tops, from the 2000s. I’m almost a perfect 36-24-36 with linebacker shoulders so anything not very fitted looks very boxy and makes me look very large. It’s hard to find fitted silhouettes now and while I don’t want the loose fit trend to disappear completely, it’d be nice if it wasn’t so ubiquitous.

5. m4dswine
    May 28, 2018 at 11:22 am

Oh god why. Can’t we have a much longer period prior to regurgitation?

6. valstrm
    May 28, 2018 at 11:27 am

I’m not a huge fan of 2000’s styles and none of it looks really flattering on me (I’ll keep my high rises thanks) but I would LOVE for Gossip Girl era Ivy League prep to come back. I remember being 12 and spending hours on The College Prep or Monogram Meredith’s website trawling for looks like Blair and Serena.

I would like to give 2000’s scene a miss though

May 28, 2018 at 11:37 am

I hate the low rise trend. It’s so uncomfortable plus I don’t want to show everyone my lower stomach.

I mean more power to you if you do, but honestly I love the high waist/normal waist trend. it’s so elegant imo and I love how classy it looks on me

8. full_boyle
    May 28, 2018 at 11:59 am

I quite like low-rise jeans coming back due to this trend. I actually [have a pair](https://i.imgur.com/xVd0OFY.jpg) and find it works quite well with front tucking (though they’re definitely not as ultra butt-cracking low as the ones from 2000s).

I also personally love short strapped shoulder bags and square toed strappy sandals that are heavily 2000s influenced. Plus, I’m enjoying the chunky gold jewellery coming back as well.

I’ve also been seeing the ultra thin spaghetti straps, which I personally love and could see myself wearing next S/S.

I was well into my teens during the 2000s, but I’m still looking forward to seeing how the present adapts it.

9. polymerase2016
    May 28, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Oh man this will be painful for me…I was a preteen/young teen in the early 00s so a lot of those styles feel inextricably linked to middle school anxiety to me.

OP’s list was great, but other things I remember:

– Layering two camis over each other

– Lacy camis under V and scoop neck tees

– Corset style tops

– So much obviously branded Abercrombie stuff

– Dresses over jeans

– super low rise jeans with super cropped tops

10. the-black-polka-dots
    May 28, 2018 at 12:36 pm

I was a scene kid! Even though none of the fashion is my favorite now, number 1 pet peeve against the 2000s, was the obsession of straight hair. I spent hours getting my hair chemically relaxed and my curls never have been the exact same. They are more wavy/curly than straight curls. I went from a 3A to a 2B or 2C.

11. grrb88
    May 28, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Please dear god no

12. z770
    May 28, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Yes I’m relevant again! The circle of life!

13. the_baumer
    May 28, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Pretty much hate all of 2000s fashion BUT one thing that’s missing that was pretty huge was the 70s flower child boho chic look a la Olsen Twins and Nicole Richie. I’m talking prairie skirts, head scarves, peasant tops, chunky wooden jewelry. I totally welcome back that stuff cause I really love 70s clothing.

[example 1](https://goo.gl/images/Sp6v8o)

[example 2](https://goo.gl/images/KMmEqd)

[example 3 ](http://cdn-wpmsa.defymedia.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/04/Sienna-Miller-Boho-Trend-1.jpg)

[example 4 ](https://goo.gl/images/TkK8Zr)

14. GurlBye22
    May 28, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I’m not yet over the 90’s comeback (which I love), so if we could hold off on this for a while that’d be amazing. This era was middle school-ish for me and these styles prompted a TON of body image issues at a particularly sensitive developmental period. Long story short, let’s skip the 2000’s.

It’d be nice if some of these ideas were modified to be more inclusive of body types. I wouldn’t be opposed to tight track jackets and super long sleeves!

15. ShitJustGotRealAgain
    May 28, 2018 at 12:57 pm

Oh please not. There isn’t enough distance yet.

16. KitsuneRouge
    May 28, 2018 at 1:00 pm

I’d love for bootcut pants to make a come back. I never really feel comfortable in skinny pants—I have slim legs and a huge bust, so I feel like the proportions are wrong and I look odd. Bootcut pants balanced that our for me. I’m also rather short, and the way skinny pants are cut a little higher on the ankle makes me look even shorter.

17. coffee_for_dinner
    May 28, 2018 at 1:13 pm

Please no I’m not ready for that shit yet. 🙁

I wouldn’t mind emo scene hair/fashion though. Give it a modern Rick Owens vibe and it’ll probably look quite cool. Maybe there are some 00s styles that with a bit of updating wouldn’t look too bad.

18. ElleFuego
    May 28, 2018 at 1:44 pm

I’m going to a 90s vs 00s dance party in a few weeks, and I was really leaning toward going 90s (Black mini dress with choker and over the knee socks!) but… you’ve given me something to consider here! Maybe it’s time to re-live early college and see if I can still squeeze into my low rise 7 for all mankind’s…

19. Snoopygonnakillu
    May 28, 2018 at 1:51 pm

[No.nonononono.](https://i.imgur.com/wqMWK7z.mp4)

Fuck nooooooo.

I was a wannabe club girl/scencster in the early 2000s. I had a fucking Von Dutch hat for godsakes. That I wore with *fishnet arm warmers*.

No. Just no. That decade was not flattering on anyone. That pic of Paris Hilton in the pink outfit with her dogs? She was in her 30s at that time and was wearing heart shaped glasses. And that was acceptable. Jesus no. That outfit on Mischa Barton is probably the most unflattering thing I’ve ever seen. I want to burn pictures of myself during that decade.

20. PlumLion
    May 28, 2018 at 1:53 pm

I don’t know how to feel about this. I was in college in the early 00’s and I am just not ready for that shit to be back in style again. It’s too soon. Just seeing pictures of these outfits makes me cringe for my 20 year old awkward self.

Also 00’s fashion seems really… juvenile to me and I’m way too old to pull off a pleated micro mini skirt and strappy tank these days.

At the same time, the 00’s was recent enough that I do still have some pieces I couldn’t bear to part with and it wouldn’t break my heart to wear them again. Low rise jeans work really well for me honestly so I never stopped wearing them.

21. phinnaeusmaximus
    May 28, 2018 at 1:56 pm

They’re going to have to pry my high waist jeans from my cold, dead hands. I spent the entirety of the early to mid 2000’s unable to bend over even slightly, and I refuse to go back.

That said, 2000’s A&F style was my jam.

22. katiietokiio
    May 28, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Have seen tweed replicas, tiny handbags, fake tanning, girly thick headbands in stores. I think it’s happening for sure. As another commenter said the early 2000’s is popular online on Tumblr etc, it’s a natural progression of the late 90’s that has been popular forever. Paris Hilton chic is defo coming in: pink, fluffy, tiny.

23. vaaaare
    May 28, 2018 at 2:03 pm

I don’t think the UGG boots have ever left… and I’m not sure the progression will work that fast, simply because they’re still too recent. Moving from the 80s to the 90s in 3 years, sure, but 2005 just doesn’t have the same nostalgia when even kids still in highschool can remember it.

24. dallyan
    May 28, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Ahhh, white liner on the bottom waterline. Nope. I’m not ready for all this. You can pry my high-waisted pants from my cold, dead hands.

25. coulditbejanuary
    May 28, 2018 at 2:12 pm

This is only tangentially related, but ugh I.AM.GIA is such a rip-off label – Diet Prada has done some great summaries showing how many of their designs are direct copies from others. They do run the Instagram game really well, though.

26. rainidayrere1
    May 28, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Can the 2010’s just be original and come up with our own fashion instead of reinventing every era ever.

27. makeupandmartinis
    May 28, 2018 at 2:29 pm

I actually saw a 15 year old post a photo on IG with those mardigras looking bead necklaces looped around her neck – like you know where part of it is tight around your neck like a choker and the 2nd loop hangs down? Yeah my first thought was “oh god is that coming back in style? Please no”

28. discomistress
    May 28, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Was I supposed to have stopped wearing ballet flats? I guess at least I don’t wear them with jean shorts anymore..

29. Zeldafan1023
    May 28, 2018 at 2:34 pm

I remember doing my hair in those twisty rolls all the time and wearing those little butterfly clips. I also remember later in 2005-06-07 I was in high school and super skinny and could get away with super tight tees from Hollister, Abercrombie, and AE. I wore long tank tops underneath all my tees, often colored wife beater types. Long necklaces with colored beads were a must. Clogs were huge, and crocs became a thing when I was a senior (06-07). I never got crocs but I liked clogs. There’s nothing I can honestly say that is want to bring back from that era, it all just feels so cheap to me.

30. Chazzyphant
    May 28, 2018 at 2:46 pm

I completely missed those trends because I was a bit older and working in a beauty/body potions shop so wore black all day every day. I also had a very quirky thrift store centric style that was heavy on the 70s (and kind of..still is?) and I knew very well that my old fashioned 60s pin up body and “tell me everything resting therapist face” was not the sharp, defined, cut glass features most of the 2000s looks needed to look right.

I like the late 90s minimalism and I like the early 2000s big clusters of brooches and hi-low ladylike punk mixes though.

31. SimplyCannotEven
    May 28, 2018 at 2:52 pm

I’M NOT GOING BACK TO LOW RISE JEANS

32. OrigamiKoi
    May 28, 2018 at 3:03 pm

I hope someone brings back 00’s goth.

33. mediocre-spice
    May 28, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Oof, I hope we skip this era. I’m pale, curvy, and short. These styles didn’t work when I was in middle school and won’t work now. Especially now that they have the added association of being young and awkward.

I really hope patterned bermuda shorts don’t come back.

34. girlwunder
    May 28, 2018 at 3:20 pm

I was joking with a friend the other day about what we used to wear in Junior High and I realized just how iconic Lizzie McGuire was for pre-teen girls back then.

[That bandana](https://i.pinimg.com/originals/77/6b/e1/776be171e83e8878d1478a34d3df90a4.png)

[That hair](https://imgix.bustle.com/lovelace/uploads/971/9990b4b0-25ee-0134-0af2-0629623c6db9.png?w=614&fit=max&auto=format&q=70)

[That “I WANT A BRA” moment](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i6Y8LsIZc8&ab_channel=meowmitchell)

[That bedazzle ](https://s-i.huffpost.com/gen/1043905/images/o-LIZZIEMCGUIRE-facebook.jpg)

May 28, 2018 at 3:23 pm

[deleted]

36. Liz_LemonLime
    May 28, 2018 at 3:28 pm

The 2000s was not a good fashion time for this curvy girl.
    I like the current “trend” of more cuts and fits of jeans being available to the masses. I like being able to find high, mid, and low rise jeans in curvy and straight waisted fits at old navy, target, and similar retailers. No longer are well-fitting jeans for all only available in designer brands.

I have vivid memories of trying to find long tshirts to cover my ass crack because of all the hipster jeans that didn’t cover my entire derrière.

37. sweadle
    May 28, 2018 at 3:43 pm

I wore only low cut jeans as a teenager. I will never do it again. I have hips and a butt, and they will never look good.

I wish someone had told me young that midrise jeans are the way to go.

38. rosequarry
    May 28, 2018 at 3:54 pm

I’m close to 40 and I really like fashion right now. I dread these looks and fear that I am at an age where I will never progress past my current style. I can’t take anymore! Mom jeans for life!

39. ashmez
    May 28, 2018 at 4:02 pm

I never, NEVER liked the fake tanning trend.

40. i_lick_telephones
    May 28, 2018 at 4:40 pm

I remember all of this, as well as:

* [Prairie/peasant skirts](https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d6/ba/59/d6ba591a19cb0f5a271b854d93a12d83–pdf-sewing-patterns-skirt-patterns.jpg)

* [Peasant tops](https://www.google.com/search?biw=1536&bih=686&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=GS0MW9iFAoXb5gKaiLqgDA&q=peasant+tops+2000s&oq=peasant+tops+2000s&gs_l=img.3..0.84418.87642.0.87839.12.10.0.2.2.0.87.580.10.10.0….0…1c.1.64.img..0.12.583…0i67k1j0i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.0.Wl_sPpFqw8U#imgrc=UgJ_3V6M6dybjM:)

* [Clogs](https://cdn-img-3.wanelo.com/p/346/db7/c33/6b9a02cac88e7e311420d42/x354-q80.jpg)

* [Asymmetrical stripey skirts](https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fe5%2Faf%2Fd0%2Fe5afd0f45c6cb77279c60eea2679f0bf.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.co.uk%2Fpin%2F39054721752078587%2F&docid=DQRoLnYxuM6q1M&tbnid=Gd8j-WWFFk5I7M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwifjfna6KjbAhWBnFkKHZULCk4QMwhFKAowCg..i&w=715&h=1367&bih=735&biw=1536&q=peasant%20skirts%202000s&ved=0ahUKEwifjfna6KjbAhWBnFkKHZULCk4QMwhFKAowCg&iact=mrc&uact=8)

* [Plaid bermuda shorts](https://www.google.com/search?q=plaid+bermuda+shorts&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi457Cm7ajbAhVkx1kKHSmvDbcQ_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=686)

* [That fuckin Aeropostale monkey](https://www.google.com/search?biw=1536&bih=686&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=yDEMW4qDEobv5gLIlY3wCg&q=aeropostale+monkey&oq=aeropostale+mon&gs_l=img.3.0.0j0i67k1j0i30k1l3j0i8i30k1l2j0i24k1l3.132404.134870.0.135865.15.11.0.4.4.0.76.700.11.11.0….0…1c.1.64.img..0.15.721….0.JU8LgG0TWsM)

* And, for some reason, this is the one I hate the most looking back…[the cropped bolero/shrug](https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/m/m-yNcnb_ZNZ0faim51gGC4A/s-l225.jpg)

I remember a lot of faded denim mini skirts, wearing 3/4 length leggings *under* those mini skirts, wearing a camisole OVER a polo (????), or wearing a cami under my polo, but making sure the color of the cami matched the stitched emblem on my polo (usually a butterfly from Aeropostale…wasn’t rich enough to afford the moose from Abercrombie).

Oh and when the “prep” phase ended…then a lot of Etnies and Roxy hoodies/purses. So. Much. Pac Sun.

41. RunawayHobbit
    May 28, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Can we bring back Roaring Twenties flapper styles instead? That’s much more fun

42. cray-cray-catladeh
    May 28, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Oh no please no I’m not ready for the return of the 2000s, at least not on my body.

My go to looks included: Long long layers upon layers of tank tops and maybe a halter top thrown in because why not? Low rise ruffle skirts, and wrist cuffs / sweatbands because I liked Avril Lavigne and Green Day I thought I was “edgy” but my mom wouldn’t let me wear black so I had to settle on the wrist bands.

Also those tiny zippers on the super low rise jeans were the worst. I remember a shop boasting about it having the shortest zipper(?????) don’t remember what it was called though.

43. HeadBandHalo
    May 28, 2018 at 4:53 pm

I’m curious if we will get phases of nostalgia peddled out to us instead of just having all the 2000s reimagined at once. For me, when I think of fashion in this decade, I conjure up two distinct eras: turn of the millennium reality tv girl look and post recession urban adorkable hipster/twee look. I’ll say that I’m a much bigger fan of the 500 days of summer look than I am of mean girls but I’m eager to experience both of them again 🙂

44. i_lick_telephones
    May 28, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Also, I was 8 when the 2000s started..so from 2000 until maybe 2004, it was Limited Too EVERYTHING. I would pine for outfits from the catalog and beg my mom to take me shopping there for back-to-school shopping…

45. greydawn
    May 28, 2018 at 5:19 pm

I can’t see myself embracing that era of style. Looking back it felt quite tacky to me, but perhaps that’s also because I was also a young teen then so it is mixed with cringe-y teen memories. I wore a lot of very revealing clothing back then (super mini skirts and low rise jeans) which I would never wear now.

Anyone else remember the super low rise jeans with the lace-up front instead of zipper? I definitely wore those…

46. omgcow
    May 28, 2018 at 5:34 pm

If that means velour tracksuits will come back into style than I’m totally here for this. Those always looked so comfortable and by the time I was old enough to have one they were out.

47. Riftia__pachyptila
    May 28, 2018 at 6:13 pm

i’m actually into a lot of this. maybe i’m biased because it was a formative era for me, but there’s something so straightforward about it that still appeals to me. i like the fact that nothing was understated and everything was unironically over the top- from syrupy sweet butterfly clips and glitter gloss to bondage pants and other mall goth classics. if you were trying hard to fit a certain aesthetic, it was okay to look like you were trying hard. piling it on was acceptable, regardless of what you were piling on.

i feel like the 2000’s was also interesting in that subculture clothing was commodified and clearly delineated. brands caught on to the idea that music and media taste influenced how specific social groups dressed and they jumped on it, further influencing trends. i know that subculture has always influenced style, but i feel like it was really noteworthy during this time.

i probably won’t wear a lot of it myself because it just isn’t the adult i’ve turned into. but i will definitely be purchasing a corset top and plaid pleated mini because those are items that have never lost their appeal to me along with a few others.

48. _White_Witch_
    May 28, 2018 at 7:10 pm

Noooo. If you don’t have the most rock hard of abs, this decades fashion really does not flatter. As a teenager from the 2000’s I am just now getting over my anxiety of looking attractive and fashionable. That is a truly impossible feat if you have the slightest amount of fluff in the midsection.

49. TheresCocaineInIt
    May 28, 2018 at 7:17 pm

A lot of very early 2000s stuff reads more or less the same as late 90’s to me. I was old enough to know but I can’t remember the difference. It may be a product of whatever the antonym of nostalgia would be, but I have an irrational hatred of a lot of looks during this time. It’s probably good , as I have had zero inclination to buy into certain recent trends and that saves me money.

That said, if tiered mini skirts come back I am fucking INTO IT.

I’m personally holding out for a few years into the decade when we start seeing early twee/kindercore looks. That was my clothing heyday. The thought of those yoked tops with cutsie apple prints simultaneously make me cringe and nostalgic as hell (wanting to buy a supayana shirt but not being able to afford it! “t-shirt surgeries!”). I’m looking very forward to the Gossip Girl vibes as the decade progresses.

I also think a lot of this particular 2004-2010 aesthetic might work for me as I get older and try to find a grownup style. I’m in my 30’s and I can picture myself wearing those carefully chosen modcloth-esque autumnal sweater dress/tights/flats combos, but I can’t picture myself in a lot of the 2001-2003 stuff.

Edit: I’m weirdly excited about the idea of 2004-2010 coming back. I’m also chuckling after making this comment because my entire aesthetic is deliberately very different. Think un-fancy vibes on a normal day, broke-Rick-Owens-wannabe on a fancy day. I don’t know how to reconcile these things. 🙂

50. 00000000005