And they said it’d never last. Check out this article for a writer’s fresh perspective on an H&M blouse that defied all odds

[And they said it would never last ](https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/and-they-said-it-would-never-last/amp)

As I get older, I have increasingly found myself shunning fast fashion, for ethical and quality reasons. Although it’s true that a lot of their clothes aren’t meant to last the test of time, this article served as a check for my elitist thinking.

I could feel holier than thou purchasing a reformation dress, grana silk top, or Eileen Fisher linen pants… or I could check my privilege and realize that judging every article of clothes that come from these fast fashion retailers aren’t all terrible quality. I feel incredibly lucky to be able to have the choice to not have to shop there anymore, but for the majority of women in America, that isn’t an option. The fact that the writer’s shirt lasted for so many years and was reworn so many times, striked me. The shirt doesn’t have to cost over $60 to be built to last. And it also serves as a reminder that fast fashion can be part of minimalist lifestyle that’s accessible to women from all income levels.

The true problem for me is my consumption of the amount of clothing, a true cost to the environment independent of clothing brand. I feel like most of my clothing will probably be donated because I’m bored of the style rather than because it was worn to death.

What do you guys think of the article?

View Reddit by balconysmokeView Source

1. Anonymous
    January 1, 1970 at 12:00 am
  2. babyblanka
    April 30, 2018 at 4:38 pm

I think this is true for a lot of brands that start with pretty decent quality and nose dive.

I have a GAP t-shirt that I bought when I was a sophomore in high school. I love it – it says “mechanic” and I thought it was too cool for everyone at the time. That was roughly 2000, which makes that shirt old enough to vote.

I just purged a few GAP t’s from last summer because they haven’t even held up from the past few seasons.

My point is that even low or mid-range brands feel touch and go when it comes to quality, it’s hard to even tell anymore.

3. Maiuchan
    April 30, 2018 at 5:18 pm

I got this one probably about 6 years ago; it looks exactly the same as the day I bought it. Much of my other fast fashion wardrobe has worn out or was replaced, but there’s something about the top that can be both business and casual: http://www.hm.com/us/product/88229?article=88229-K

4. cellmembrain
    April 30, 2018 at 5:22 pm

I have a green check Primark flannel that survived nearly 7 years since I bought it on my first trip there. I wear and wash it frequently and it still holds up.

Also, to make a counterpoint to the popular „invest in quality“ opinion that reigns here: My wardrobe is like 50% H&M, 30% Primark and 20% Zara/other stuff. The only more „expensive“ pieces I own are one pair of black and blue Levis 721, respectively. Fast fashion doesn‘t fall apart immediatly for me. I have 127 articles of clothing including 4-season-rotation, workout clothes and pyjamas, so maybe because I do have quite a lot of clothes the individuals don‘t get worn very often. But my 10€ basic shirts from H&M hold up 3-5 years which is perfectly reasonable, the tanktops as well, and so do the flannels from Primark and even the underwear.

I guess I just can‘t really understand the mantra, except for if the clothes get heavy wear like having children or manual labor. 🤷🏼‍♀️

5. boopandabear
    April 30, 2018 at 5:39 pm

I feel like anything can survive if you take care of it! I always wash my blouses in a pillow case and hang to dry. However I noticed when I shopped at hm I was inspecting a blouse and it seemed like it was going to rip apart if I tried it on…

6. ruthannr94
    April 30, 2018 at 5:42 pm

I think there are a couple of points here.

* **Some fast fashion pieces will last a long time**. It’s a bit silly to argue othewise. There will always be certain pieces that just have a lot of longevity provided you take care of them. The arguement against fast fashion is not really that they DON’T last a long time but rather…
    * **How many pieces did you throw away for that one piece that did last a long time?** The author even mtions this – she tried to buy other similar blouses that she just didn’t like or didn’t hold up. So sure, one item lasted a long time but how much waste did it take to get there? I was wearing Forever21 yoga pants last night that I’ve had for 7 years. That’s fantastic. But I’ve also thrown away probably 30 other Forever21 items in that time, so is all that waste really worth one good pair of pants?
    * **Are you going to want to keep a fast fashion piece for that long?** A lot of times we buy fast fashion items because they’re cheap ignoring little things we may not like about them. Cheap items are much more likely to be quickly discarded than worn for a long time – a fact that also applies to cheap thrift store finds. Add that many fast fashion items are incredibly trendy and tend to look rapidly dated, and in general they just don’t have the lifespan a lot of the time.
    * **If you don’t like it or when you get tired of it what do you do with it?** Are you even able to resell it? Most people don’t care to buy Forever21, H&M, Wet Seal, etc second hand simply because it’s barely cheaper than it would be new. I personally know that I’ve thrown away or donated a ton of fast fashion because it didn’t have any value to resell to me. I also don’t buy fast fashion second hand. Sure you might get bored of an Eileen Fisher or Reformation piece just as quick as you do an H&M piece, but someone else will want it and continue to love it after you’re done with it instead of it ending up in a land fill.

I think absolutely we can all tend to be a little over pious about our consumption habits, but I think a few select items lasting for a prolonged period of time doesn’t excuse us all from worrying about it. At least personally I can see a dramatic difference between the cheap items I own and the expensive ones in terms of their life in the world. The cheap ones I bought, tired of, and now either sit, are thrown away, or are donated. The expensive items I wore, maybe bored of them, at which point I sold them to someone else who is now wearing them. On the flip side most of the expensive items I own I bought from someone else who wore them, bored of them, and passed them on to me, and so they continue being used and worn, and passed around for their lifespan.

7. bexcellent101
    April 30, 2018 at 5:56 pm

I think the article is interesting and well written, but just because that one shirt is magical and lasted forever doesn’t mean that every shirt will. Also, quality in 2004 was generally much higher than it is today. So basically, it’s nice for her but not a realistic expectation.

8. asereth
    April 30, 2018 at 6:01 pm

This is so true. I make a low salary. I HATE shopping fast fashion, but in actuality, I can’t afford to NOT do so. I just look for the most inexpensive, best quality, least trendy stuff, and do what I can to not buy a lot of it.

9. Lb20inblue
    April 30, 2018 at 6:17 pm

I try not to by from fast fashion stores but I have kids. I’m going to be honest and say there is no way I’m investing in clothing for kids that need clothes damn near every 6 months. I actually like H & M for my kids because by the time it falls apart, it was going to be to small anyway. I appreciate the push to choose other retailers. But I’m not spending time thriftying for people who want to wear sparky pink glitter skirts and Pokémon t shirts. I think we all do the best we can.

10. lizzybeast
    April 30, 2018 at 6:25 pm

What a sweet article, thanks for sharing.

If you’re buying a single shirt and getting a lot of wear out of it, it makes very little difference from an environmental standpoint if it came from H&M or LL Bean. Criticisms of fast fashion often target the ethos of fast fashion, built on a business plan of low prices and constant new releases that encourage shopping hauls and binge-purge shopping which ends up being costly to your wallet, the environment, and human rights. But just because you bought something at H&M doesn’t mean you shop as if clothes are disposable.

I like your point about the problem of using durability to justify brand snobbery. It’s just not true these days (if it ever was). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having your favorite brands (I’m a huge brand snob!) but getting self righteous about spending more on clothes is definitely misplaced classism.

11. throwliterally
    April 30, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Another huge advantage of thrift stores: you can see how clothes hold up. It’s usually obvious when an item has been worn and laundered and is still in good shape. So if only 2 out of 100 F21 shirts are actually wonderful shirts you’ll be able to spot them at the thrift store whereas it is totally hit or miss at the F21 store. You can inspect something and check all the boxes and still have it come out of the wash looking like shit. I’m unsure what this group considers ‘good’ brands but if we’re talking price as an indicator of quality I will say that I’ve seen some poorly made Brooks Brothers and Eileen Fisher clothes. The brand that I am most impressed with even though the clothes are often ugly and always look like they’d make my skin crawl is St Johns. They are always in great shape. I live in Alaska and nobody here wears designer clothes and we don’t have any shops so I haven’t seen actual designer clothes at the thrift store. The art of thrift store shopping is being able to spot well made, good clothes no matter what the tags say. I maintain it is easier separate the wheat from the chaff in a thrift store than a regular store.

12. foreignfishes
    April 30, 2018 at 6:53 pm

I was cleaning out my closet last month and making some sell/donate piles, and I started to think about how all of the really inexpensive pieces I have from H&M/forever 21/Zara that have held up well for 2+ years have something in common: they’re more basic items (things like medium wash skinny jeans, tank tops, cotton t shirt dresses, denim skirt, windbreaker, socks, blazer, etc) and they’re made of 100% cotton or plain old polyester (some polyester blouses are basically indestructible, too bad it makes me so smelly). Also there is a very specific type of thin viscose/rayon used in dresses and tops (not just from fast fashion places either, mall brands with $90 dresses are guilty too!) that is the culprit behind basically every dress I’ve bought that looked great up until the first time I washed it, and then it just looked sad. Avoiding stuff made from that material has made my shopping experiences much better!

Maybe this sounds too conspiracy theory-y, but I wouldn’t be surprised if super trendy pieces aren’t made as well as basics from the same stores because they know the trend isn’t going to last more than a season.

13. kayelar
    April 30, 2018 at 7:03 pm

The clothes I have that have lasted the longest have come from the sale racks of Forever 21, target, and H&M. I have a cheap cotton dress from H&M that I have worn at least twice a week for the past three years that’s still kickin’. I have a tank top from F21 that I’ve had since high school (9 years). I think it’s the basic design of these things that keep them stylish for a long time so I just keep wearing them.

14. Djeter998
    April 30, 2018 at 7:05 pm

I love this article. I find that most of my longest-lasting clothing items are from Kohl’s, actually. I have a couple of tees and tanks from there that are around a decade old!

15. arizonaicedgreentea
    April 30, 2018 at 7:18 pm

I never understood when people said that clothes from Forever21, Primark, H&M etc never hold up. Fast fashion brands/quality is all I buy because it’s all I can really afford and I’ve never had one item fall apart on me, and I’m really rough with most of my clothes (wearing them a lot, machine washing pieces that are supposed to be hand wash only, etc). Everything lasts for years.

16. hellomie
    April 30, 2018 at 7:20 pm

What a lovely article with an unexpected ending. Thanks for sharing.

17. The_Killer_Cucumber
    April 30, 2018 at 7:46 pm

It’s a very emotional article and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks OP.

Other than that, while shopping at stores like Forever21 and H&M, go by fabric.

If a clothing item will last or not _is_ in the construction but _90% of it is controlled by fabric_
    Synthetic fibers like polyester and Nylon will last.
    Cotton wouldn’t.

I never buy cotton or linen or silk (because artificial silk doesn’t breathe at all) from fast fashion brands; but these stores work beautifully for clothes made of synthetic fabrics.

18. occult_yuppie
    April 30, 2018 at 7:58 pm

The only piece of clothing I’ve had that fell apart on me was a fairly expensive Alexander McQueen sweater. Take that as you will :/ I don’t find that “designer” pieces are usually of extremely better quality, they just often have silhouettes or small details that are not found in typical fast fashion or mall stores. Sometimes fabrics will be remarkably similar, but the colors, accents, hardware, accessories, etc. on designer pieces can be a lot more striking.

19. littlelilacs
    April 30, 2018 at 8:12 pm

i know that fast fashion is terrible ethically and for the environment, but i definitely can’t afford to regularly spend more than $30 on an individual item of clothing and sometimes i just need a new shirt. but i will say that the forever21, h&m and other inexpensive items i own have been with me for years and years and are still some of my favorites. i have never found it to be true that stuff from these places is total crap quality and won’t last.

20. markrichtsspraytan
    April 30, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Wow that article took a turn for the sad, but in a beautifully written way.

I agree that it’s dismissive to assume that all cheap clothing is bad quality and trendy/not timeless, and it’s also true that not all expensive clothing and accessories are good quality. I had a Tory Burch handbag literally fall apart after only using it a couple of times. The hardwear completely came apart, separating the strap from the bag, despite not even carrying anything heavy in it. The company refused to repair it because that was “normal wear and tear” (NO IT ISN’T NORMAL FOR A $400 BAG!).

One of my favorite shirts is a grey raglan long sleeve shirt from Forever 21. I’ve had it for probably 10 years now. There is absolutely nothing special about it other than it’s comfortable and was under $10. But I get compliments when I wear it. Even the people giving the compliments will say “I don’t know why, but I really like your shirt”. I’ve probably washed it well over 100 times by now. There’s no pilling or fading or stains or anything wrong with it. It’s just magic. It doesn’t look dated because it’s so simple but for some reason is just different enough from a plain shirt for people to notice.

21. hildrida
    April 30, 2018 at 8:26 pm

I’ve been wearing this one cotton T-shirt from J.C. Penney for, um, nineteen years? Wow, yeah, nineteen years. And it doesn’t even look worn at the seams.

I’d like to get better at telling just from sight and feel how long a piece will last. But yeah, def. agree that fast fashion isn’t inherently fragile and expensive clothes aren’t necessarily sturdy.

22. mfball
    April 30, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Yeah, as much as fast fashion has a reputation for falling apart, I’ve had very good luck with H&M in particular. There are definitely some things that you can tell right on the rack aren’t going to hold up, but I have some tops from H&M that have lasted me at least ten years, even with machine washing and drying everything.

23. anyyay
    April 30, 2018 at 8:40 pm

You mentioned privilege, it’s perhaps worth mentioning that the writer of this article comes from serious money.

And maybe that doesn’t change the core point, but I think it matters at least a little.

Ethical shopping, and the ability to dip into fast fashion as a fun little experiment in another world, is a privilege.

April 30, 2018 at 8:43 pm

[deleted]

25. merryearth
    April 30, 2018 at 8:44 pm

The thing is that in the end you can never really judge the durability of a piece of clothing by it’s price or brand. A lot of things from h&m are really bad quality, like someone pointed out it’s usually the more ‘trendy’ items, especially the more kooky ones. I’ve written about this before, but having worked at h&m for a couple of years now, and some of these items, they go on sale a couple of weeks after they first arrive. It’s like they’re made with that in mind. Also, costumers regularly tell me that it’s so cheap that it doesn’t matter if they only wear it one time, it will still be worth it. On the other hand, they do have a lot of really high quality stuff, at least in terms of durability. Usually you can feel it by touching and pulling the seams and the fabric. If anyone is interested i could write more specifically about what items generally hold up, and what doesn’t.

26. library-girl
    April 30, 2018 at 8:49 pm

I need disposable clothing that I’m not attached to because I work with small children. I need to be able to give a big hug to a food/spit/paint covered toddler with no clothes based reservations.

27. AllTheStars07
    April 30, 2018 at 8:52 pm

I can’t get myself to buy higher end clothes. It’s my upbringing informing that for sure but I overall don’t have much problem with my fast fashion items. I’ve rarely had clothes fall apart like tears or holes. I’ve had clothes pill or look worn out though. I’ve had some F21 camis and Target yoga pants for years that have held up well.

28. ChristaGrace
    April 30, 2018 at 9:28 pm

My two favorite sweaters are from Charlotte Russe probably 5-7 years ago. They are so soft, haven’t faded, and don’t wrinkle. It’s also worth noting I am not easy on my clothes. I throw everything together and wash/dry on hot/high, and since these are 2 of my favorites, they probably get washed once every week or two all winter.

29. LikeGoldAndFaceted
    April 30, 2018 at 10:00 pm

I have fast fashion items that have lasted years and some that have started falling apart before I could even wear them. It’s a gamble. I totally agree though, the ability to shop ethically is a privilege based on income level. Beyond that, our whole current health/organic/natural culture is also based on income status.

30. kk643728
    April 30, 2018 at 11:05 pm

All the comments here feel like they’re being dismissive of the ethical cost of fast fashion. Yes, sometimes it’ll last and it is an over exaggeration to say it’ll rip immediately, but what does that mean if it was made in sweatshop-like conditions? That’s the biggest reason to not shop at F21 and H&M in my option, not just the longevity thing.

31. lauruhhpalooza
    April 30, 2018 at 11:20 pm

I have a flowy blouse I bought from H&M when I was a junior in high school, and it still looks as new as the day I bought it. For reference, I entered 11th grade in 2004 so after FOURTEEN YEARS it has held up. It unfortunately doesn’t fit me anymore, but I’ve actually held onto it because it was the first piece of “fashion” I was able to buy 100% on my own that made me feel amazing. When I still see it hanging in my closet, it brings a smile to my face.

I typically don’t shop much at H&M now more because I don’t find much of their stuff flattering for my body, but I’m always struck when people say their quality is bad. They do make certain items that can hold up to the test of time

Edit: the shirt in question https://imgur.com/gallery/HCyoHK8

32. courtney10
    April 30, 2018 at 11:29 pm

I love this! I enjoy my clothes, I take great care of them (wash them in cold water on gentle, hang things to dry, repair them if a button falls off). At the end of the day, I’m frugal af, and hate spending more than $30 on a pair of pants or a top or a dress and nearly all of my clothes come from H&M or TJ Maxx and my shoes are all from the DSW clearance rack. My pieces from these stores last me years. As long as you are a patient shopper and bring a discerning eye for fabrics and styles, it’s totally possible to enjoy a long-lasting, beautiful wardrobe on a small budget.

33. amyontheinternet
    May 1, 2018 at 12:08 am

beautifully put, and a great article. I still think of a pretty Forever 21 blouse that I wore for 15 years and lost in a move – only then did it sink in how much that shirt had been through and how much it had meant to me. Simple things. Donating clothes isn’t in any way wasting them, things that people didn’t really like ended up being my dream things. Sometimes you have to remember that even if you’re indulging in a consumerist/globally impacting brand – your act alone done smartly doesn’t add to the ill effects.

34. SarahHohepa
    May 1, 2018 at 12:16 am

I learnt to sew so that I could take op-shop clothes in and tailor them to fit me better. I quite often fi d a really sturdy jacket that just needs a little tlc and will last me years. You can also replace/overlay pannels with a cool looking fabric to give it an awesome flair.

35. mostlybooksandplants
    May 1, 2018 at 1:00 am

An observation on fast fashion quality, drawn from my wardrobe as compared to my SO’s.

I get things from H&M every now and then and I have a couple of things that have held up better than others, which is to be expected, I suppose. I have one pencil skirt that’s lasted me 5 years so far and is still in fantastic shape, and a basic tank top that I don’t think will last (checks watch) the evening?

HOWEVER, my SO gets a lot of his clothes from H&M. He has a small wardrobe. He wears everything he owns frequently and washes them often. He retired a pair of H&M jeans two years ago because they started wearing out after ~3 years of near constant wear. His shirts he’s only really retired because he didn’t like the look of them anymore, after wearing them for a few years. His stuff from H&M has lasted like crazy.

I don’t know if he has an eye for construction or just gravitates to the sorts of the things that are higher quality there, OR if men’s fast fashion and women’s fast fashion is super qualitatively different. I suspect the latter. Booooo.

36. hempybogart
    May 1, 2018 at 1:31 am

I bought a simple, floral dress at Forever21 for my college graduation in 2012. It has spaghetti straps and elastic at the waist, and it came with a thin belt. It’s probably made of polyester. The floral layer is slightly sheer, and it has a solid lining. It hits just above my knees, which is rare for me (I’m 6′ tall).

I’ve worn that dress on more occasions than I can count, and it’s still my favorite go-to dress. It doesn’t show sweat. It doesn’t wrinkle. It’s comfortable, and it’s the perfect dressy-but-not-too-dressy compromise for events where a dress code isn’t specified. I love that dress.

37. DNA_ligase
    May 1, 2018 at 1:31 am

On my birthday a few weeks ago, my SO bought me these two lovely linen tops with embroidered yolks. They’re gorgeous, and though they were expensive, the store we were at was having a super sale on their clothing merchandise. I wore the shirt the next day, and the day after that, I checked the blouse for cleaning instructions. There were none. So I washed it.

Half my clothes turned purple, including the new dress I bought for my birthday. A few oxyclean soaks salvaged most of my items, save for the dress. Several washes alone later and the blouse still leaks dye.

In contrast, my everyday clothes are fast fashion and never seem to fade or warp. I’ve had them for years and years and they are completely fine. I’ve had a few mishaps with fast fashion as well (from 2002-2008 Old Navy might as well have been tissue paper, because I had tops that ripped on the first wear), but over all, I’ve had things last. I have never had a budget for high end; anything that fits in that price range was either a gift or found secondhand.

38. metalonrye
    May 1, 2018 at 1:46 am

Shirts I bought from H&M pre 2010 I still have, but nothing after. I really feel that there was a huge shift that’s still happening. All it says to me is cheap, sustainable clothing is possible but ignored.

39. Putina
    May 1, 2018 at 1:53 am

As a side note, Curtis Sittenfeld is a fantastic author and you guys should all check out her work.

40. aalitheaa
    May 1, 2018 at 3:23 am

currently super annoyed about the ethical items I’ve been trying to buy. one $40 shirt, neck stretched out on the 2nd wear. another $35 (on sale) t-shirt, a small hole formed in the torso after wearing and washing for just a couple weeks. $80 sweatpants? the fabric is wearing away in the crotch after less than a year. I’m very hesitant to throw down cash on even more expensive items like dresses or pants, if I can’t even find a decent t-shirt. Have tried multiple different ethical brands.

Meanwhile I still have a few F21 camis that must be almost 10 years old, target pajama pants that are older than that, cheap dresses that are still going strong years after purchase, etc. Is that not better, in some ways, than buying new every year if the “nice” item doesn’t last?

I’m torn. Making ethical choices is extremely important to me as a vegan. I’ve changed my entire lifestyle for veganism, but somehow making ethical choices while creating a wardrobe has been SO hard. I literally have given up currently and have bought a number of things I like at Old Navy. Trying to get as much as I can at thrift stores though.

ALSO. All these ethical brands have SMALL SIZES. I’m a like a 10-12 and I usually find I’m on the very end of what they even offer. I’ve ordered a large of a few items and barely squeeze into it, while I’m a medium in many stores. What about other women larger than me? The styles also seem to be designed for tall, skinny women. Boxy stuff like Everlane, or super low cut (for tiny boobs) and slim silhouettes at Reformation. Ethical fashion just doesn’t seem very accessible right now.

41. frumpybiscuits
    May 1, 2018 at 3:41 am

I feel like the most important thing factor in ethical consumption is buying fewer things. Full Stop.
    Also, I feel like we are putting FFA thinking framework onto an article which is really about *dis*interest in fashion rather interest in fashion. Honestly, if we were all disinterested in fashion then yes, we would be a lot more ethical in our consumption, but that would be a lot less fun!

42. CrazyIrina
    May 1, 2018 at 6:37 am

I have some clothes that have outlasted themselves. I had a red hoodie pullover that I got in college or in HS I wore it until recently (I am 39), when the fabric around the stitches started getting crumbly.

My bestie used to call me Little Red Riding Hoodie 😛

I have a few pairs of Legg’s Sheer Energy pantyhose that I wore in HS…and in undergrad…and then in grad school….and then for work. I only quit wearing them a few years ago because they lycra went out of them. Have you ever seen pantyhose with no snap in them? They look like hip waders.

They looked kind of derpy a while before I quit wearing them all the time….but I kept wearing them as an act of defiance and pluck hehe.

I still have em. No runs or holes or anything. They are retired and are enjoying life on a beach somewhere….they have earned it!

I still wear the brand…Legg’s. Memba them? I split my time between them and Hanes Silk Reflections brand and Hanes Alive for when my butt aches and needs extra snap. All quite inexpensive from OHP.

Speaking of longevity, my daily wear nylons are Legg’s Sheer Energy…usually in nude or off black. I get them in big packages from OHP for close to $4/pr. nearly a quarter century ago, I was paying $5/pr for them.

Oh! The longevity part. I used to write they year I got things on the little tag in the back….just to keep track you know. My username is Crazyirina for a reason, and not something like QuietlysaneIrina.

Anyhow! I have lots of Leggs and Hanes that I wear all the time…and they have 08 on the tag.

08 as in I got them in 2008. Heh. I should splurge on new ones 😀

43. sweetjaaane
    May 1, 2018 at 10:16 am

I have a lot of F21 shirts that have lasted me 5+ years. Which is about as long as I want to wear an item of clothing anyway because fashion changes.

44. Tacocatx2
    May 1, 2018 at 11:32 am

Well, it’s a mixed bad at H&M. My favorite item is a plain tshirt (I have it in grey and also white) that is just close to perfect. It’s cotton with lyocell, so it has a slight sheen to it that makes it look a bit dressier. It’s got the right shape and fit, and the fitted sleeves are just a bit longer than the usual short sleeve. (longer than a cap sleeve, but short of the elbow. Just right for layering, super soft and not sheer. If it came in 20 colors I’d get them all.

45. headoverheels14
    May 1, 2018 at 11:40 am

I love Curtis Sittenfeld. I read “Prep” and it was really good. I like that she isn’t pretentious and can write about something like an H&M shirt but still convey depth.

Also. that shirt is adorable and I would totally wear it.

46. ilistentodancemusic
    May 1, 2018 at 1:25 pm

I know the last line of the article wasn’t the point of your post, but it reminded me of the near breakdown I had trying to figure out what to wear the day I was putting my dog down. I had a vet coming to my house at 9 am, so I didn’t even need to put on real clothes if I didn’t want to. But I couldn’t wear pajamas or yoga pants to such a solemn event. It also felt weird to dress up, like this was something to celebrate.

I ultimately wore my favorite pair of jeans with a pale pink sweater. I own neither anymore, as fashion has changed. But I felt put together enough to feel like I was respecting him, without going overboard considering we were staying in my living room the whole time.

But I had a moment where I was standing in my closet, agonizing over the decision, and I felt really silly for caring so much about clothes when they didn’t matter, not in the grand scheme of things.

But they were really the only thing I could control in that moment. That, and the music I had playing in the background as I got dressed, Simple Math by Manchester Orchestra.

Thank you for indulging me sharing that memory.

47. agnesanouk
    May 1, 2018 at 1:49 pm

My mum had a black polka dot wrap dress she brought from Target in the early 90’s I think. I originally stole it for a dress up party 10 years ago and then wrap dresses came back in style and I now regularly wear it and it is in perfect condition. I think sometimes the pieces are flukes but other times a cheaper outlet will just produce a really well made item. I definitely think these pieces are becoming fewer though.

48. bickingbackbeinbool
    May 1, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Lol a lot of people that are into fashion are honestly just snobs but try to pretend like its really about ethics to them when it comes to fast fashion. I and many other people have found lots of nice things at h&m. Also you arent making as much o an impact as you think you are by shunning fast fashion.

Means people in underdeveloped countries could be out of a job which depending on your perspective is good or bad. And you still drive a car, eat meat, wear leather……

49. theacctpplcanfind
    May 1, 2018 at 5:57 pm

I find it alarming and very defeatist that you would “check your privilege” about buying ethical clothes and supporting ethical companies, and it makes me think you’re coming at this from completely from the wrong place. I’m lucky to be able to comfortably save enough to purchase an ethical piece every other month or so, and when i make that decision, I don’t do it on the hopes that this piece will last longer or has more social cachet, but because I believe in that company’s ability to better the lives of their workers who labor in a class rife with exploitation, and to act responsibly in one of the most polluting industries in the world. Acting on human rights concerns and environmental responsibility may be a privilege, but the ideas themselves are not. To actively dissuade yourself from acting on them when you DO have the means is just…missing the point.

50. lgmringo
    May 1, 2018 at 11:45 pm

I used to think the the “clothes falling apart thing” was a bit much. But I also hadn’t shopped much since about 2008.

Then I noticed unraveling hems, loose buttons, sleeves that stretched out to long. But the issue wasn’t so much that the clothes were cheaper, it’s that they were newer. At least in my experience.

I buy mostly unethical, semi fast fashion mall brands. Holy moly the difference a decade makes! It got me wondering if it really was that the clothes were getting worse. I think they are, but I think a few other things have changed:

* I buy less so I wear the things more often. So of course they wear out faster.
    * Some of my clothes were already second hand. These actually did better than new, but when they did fall apart, I didn’t know how old they were.
    * Time moves differently now. 2008 really doesn’t feel that long ago to me. So in 2012 I was more impressed by an item that I had since high school, but in 2018 I’m not as impressed as something I had since the year I graduated because it hasn’t been through as much with me. Also, I was supremely underemployed from 2008, so I wasn’t buying a bunch of clothes in my 20s and I couldn’t even describe what the 10s feel like as a decade. 2000-2005 is really clear, 2005-2008 less so, and 2010 to present just all bleeds together to me.
    * I moved. I have a different washer. That is probably beating my clothes up more.
    * I’m not an online shopper, and I feel like stores put their best stuff there now.
    * Whatever the motivation, fabrics are thinner in a lot of places now. Fabrics are more mixed. Is is a reduction in quality or to meet consumer demand, I’m not sure. But it does mean that for the same care in construction, the clothes are more susceptible to issues.
    * Crotch holes. Not sure why, but lately a little hole wears into my jeans or khakis at the bottom of the fly. Boyfriend’s too! Mostly from Gap brand clothes but not exclusively.
    * Low expectations. If my sweater pulled on me ten years ago what it pulled on me this year, I would have returned it. Now I feel like either the return policy wouldn’t allow it, or they’d wonder what I was complaining about…that’s just the way it is.

Still, though. The clothes are way worse among the stores I’ve shopped at.

51. holyshitnuggets
    May 2, 2018 at 3:07 am

I feel like everyone has stories about that ‘one’ piece from a fast fashion store that lasted years and years. I have a pair of distressed, embroidered shorts from F21 that have lasted me years and are super comfy for the summer.

I try to assess any clothing’s quality before I buy it, regardless of where it comes from. I’m a firm believer that just because you pay more doesn’t mean it’s better quality.