Favourite books on fashion?

Favourite books on fashion?

I really enjoy runway fashion and books about fashion but some of them are pretty pricey so I wanted to see what books you guys enjoy and thought was worth picking up. Maybe you had some books you didn’t like and found a bit of a waste? Please tell all!

View Reddit by Throwawayace67894View Source

1. wanderedoff
    April 29, 2018 at 8:08 am

It’s not high fashion but is worth reading [The WORN Archive](https://www.amazon.ca/WORN-Archive-Fashion-Journal-History/dp/1770461507)

I wasn’t expecting much and rented from the library as vacation reading but ended up getting really into it it. It’s a section of the best articles from the [now defunct] WORN magazine. My favourites include the one on Canadian button collectors, history of flight attendant uniforms, article on the hijab, etc.

2. MissPandaSpark
    April 29, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I recommend Zoe Hong on youtube to someone a couple days ago. She has a few pretty in depth videos in her favourite fashion books and has worked in the industry for several years. A quick search “Zoe Hong fashion books” on YouTube will bring up her videos!

3. CoffeeLobster
    April 29, 2018 at 12:42 pm

I haven’t read much about runway fashion but over the past year I’ve become more interested in the business of fashion and how clothes are actually made. I enjoyed reading [Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion](https://www.amazon.com/Overdressed-Shockingly-High-Cheap-Fashion/dp/1591846544/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8). A lot of the information I kinda knew already just from this sub but it was still a good read.

4. MrsKendrickson
    April 29, 2018 at 1:27 pm

I ready Stacey Londons (from what not to wear) The Truth About Style and I was quite impressed. I was able to resonate with a few of the womens stories from the book and while I couldn’t afford the pieces she was dressing her clients in it gave me some ideas for what to look for when i go out shopping.

5. omnivora
    April 29, 2018 at 3:22 pm

I saw [Women in Clothes](https://www.amazon.com/Women-Clothes-Sheila-Heti/dp/0399166564) recommended in this sub, so I checked it out from my local library. I loved it so much I bought it! It’s really fun to hear very different perspectives on how other women think about and wear clothes, and the format is super fun–short essays, photo galleries, interviews, even a few poems.

6. QeenMagrat
    April 29, 2018 at 3:32 pm

I love this one: [Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty](https://www.bookdepository.com/Alexander-McQueen/9780300169782). Completely inspirational. He might well be my favourite designer, his designs are so cohesive and compelling.

I also really like the hardback Fashion books by the Kyoto Costume Institute, which give an overview of their collection of roughly 250 years of fashion history.

And in terms of fashion history of a specific subject I’ve always enjoyed Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore To The Revolution. I view it as a companion piece to thé MA biography Marie Antoinette: The Journey (on which the Sofia Coppola movie was based) because her clothing and image are so tied up with how Marie Antoinette is and was seen and judged.

7. stellarcity
    April 29, 2018 at 3:38 pm

I think you should look into exhibition guides by museums. There are a lot of retrospective exhibitions, so you get the same kind of feel as runway shows.

A lot of people have shared in [this thread](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/8fczvl/getting_into_historic_costumefashion_history/) their favorite reads regarding fashion.

8. pygoscelis
    April 29, 2018 at 3:44 pm

I really enjoyed [Fairytale Fashion](https://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tale-Fashion-Colleen-Hill/dp/0300218028) by Colleen Hill who curated the exhibition by the same name at FIT. It’s a coffee table style book with a lot of photos of gorgeous clothes, and there are accompanying essays about how trends, designers, or pieces were influenced by various fairytales that are some nice light reading.

Seconding Overdressed. Deluxe by Dana Thomas is another great read in a similar vein. [The Trendmakers](https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1474259782/) is a (very short) textbook with dry writing but it has a lot of interviews with people in different parts of the fashion ecosystems (WGSN, influencers, industry textile shows, etc) to discuss how trends are created / happen.

9. Exiled_In_LA
    April 30, 2018 at 1:39 am

I like the “What Not to Wear” books by Trinny and Susannah. It’s more practical advice than runway fashion; but they have a great sense of humour and some very useful advice.

10. MegamiTenchi
    April 30, 2018 at 7:47 pm

I’ve just picked up “The Lost Art of Dress” and am in LOVE. Had to buy my own copy so I scribble in it 🙂 They had me as soon as I saw Mary Brooks Picken’s photo, who’s book is still cited by US Customs on garments imported for wearing today. [NYT Review](https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/books/review/the-lost-art-of-dress-by-linda-przybyszewski.html)

May 3, 2018 at 4:04 am

The curated closet changed my life. It’s not really about “fashion” “fashion” but about how to put together a look for yourself and what pieces to invest in and what pieces not to.