Starting the process of going through my wardrobe and refining my style

Starting the process of going through my wardrobe and refining my style

I recently photographed all the tops in my closet, to finally take a hard look at my wardrobe. I wanted to take the opportunity before moving to pare down my closet and reflect on my personal style. Since other people’s posts have inspired me get started, I figured I’d share my process too!

[Wardrobe – Tops](https://imgur.com/a/dxwBLTt)

Based on advice from lurking this sub for a while, I bought a selfie stick tripod with a remote, and put on each and every top so I could look at the fit and style. It went relatively quickly (but still tiring– bottoms and dresses will have to wait for phase 2!).

Grouping by type helped me to realize how often I keep items that are worn out, don’t fit right, or that I never wear. It also helped me spot items that have a completely different “vibe” from the rest. I still have quite a few question marks to decide on, so I may try the “use it or lose it” challenge for those next. I’m trying not to rush out to fill the gaps in my wardrobe now, and end up with more mis-matchy things.

I feel like I have a solid base, but my look is lacking individuality and punch. I’d love to hear any tips for moving beyond this stage and exploring more. *Any patterns/themes I’m not seeing in my wardrobe? Suggestions for kicking it up a notch? What “clicked” for you when defining your own style?*

**Ultimate goals:**

**1) Be more intentional with my style**

* I plan to use an app so I remember what I own and what style I’m going for (testing ClosetSpace and YourCloset on android). I tend to get distracted by sales and things that are “interesting”, but not necessarily flattering or workable as an outfit.

* I’m paying more attention to what I like, in person and online– I just started pinning ideas to a [fashion board!](https://www.pinterest.com/modernizzy/fashion-inspiration/)

* I’d like to articulate my overall aesthetic to keep me focused. (Someone posted a “librarian space witch” album a while back, and I love the specificity of that so much!)

**2) Be more open to trying things**

I feel like I am super picky, and so I’m just left with whatever’s most neutral/non-risky for me (jeans and yet another basic blouse). I’m trying to challenge my own assumptions about fashion – which things are truly “not me” vs. me being afraid to branch out? Perhaps I’ll get creative with my accessories as a start.

* No button-down shirts, polos, turtlenecks, cowl necks, strapless/off-the-shoulder, vests, ripped jeans, hats, belts …

* I generally avoid white, red, yellow, orange, any bright colors, plaid, florals, fringe, etc.

**3) Build confidence in my choices**

I’m generally comfortable with myself and my body, but am still not confident about “owning” what I’m wearing. I often worry that something looks stupid (hats), that I’m overdressed (blazers), or that I’m being too flashy (whatever that means). I’m sure it’s partly that I’m unsure of my style right now, but I do want to push myself to go for it and just have fun!

Hope this was helpful for others going through a similar process. Thanks for reading and any input you have!

View Reddit by ModernizzyView Source

1. AutoModerator
    April 25, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Your post has been added to the queue for manual review and approval.

Meanwhile, please have a look at the [FFAQ](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/wiki/faq) to ensure your post meets our submission guidelines. You can also [search the subreddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=enter+your+search+terms+here&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all) for topics similar to your question, browse our [library of guides](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=flair%3Aguide&restrict_sr=on) or post your query in the [daily questions](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=simple+daily+questions&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all) thread.

If your post is not approved despite meeting the submission guidelines, it is likely that it’s better suited for an existing thread.

*I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/femalefashionadvice) if you have any questions or concerns.*

2. loupammac
    April 25, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Great job! I love your blue/white patterned top with the green tick. I also really like the blue/pink patterned top with the button back with the ? mark. I have a similar printed top and it looks much better in person than photographed. 🙂

I’ve been using Stylebook on my iPhone to track my wardrobe. It’s been really beneficial! I love being able to bring up my closet while shopping to determine which colour will suit my wardrobe the most.

3. staysoft
    April 26, 2018 at 12:24 am

The blue top with the question mark looks really good on you!

4. mtwestmacott
    April 26, 2018 at 1:21 am

Hmm I’ve just started on the Stylebook filling out process by photographing everything flat, but now I’m wondering if photos of the clothes on wouldn’t be more useful – but so much more work!

At any rate, after seeing your groupings, I’m going to customize the categories so they’re more useful groupings for me.

5. 97264759274748394845
    April 26, 2018 at 3:39 am

The consistency of those pictures is very satisfying.

6. calamityjaneagain
    April 26, 2018 at 5:56 am

Can you point out which tops are your favorites? That would help us suggest how to define your style.

Also what found when I got out of a rut was that the clothes that I thought were ‘too flashy’ or made me look ‘too good’ or made me self conscious were generally the styles that I needed to find the courage to wear unapologetically. Those clothes were what I desired to see on me but I was too embarrassed to let people know that ‘this is how I want to see myself’.

Clothing can be a powerful statement that also leaves you open to others’ judgement.

7. Maaaaahgie
    April 26, 2018 at 6:11 am

The pink and purple top on the second page with the belt looks great on you. You have it as a cross!
    The layery blue one on the first page with a question mark looks good too.

8. ACosmicOlive
    April 26, 2018 at 12:20 pm

FWIW I think that the black and white striped shirt on page 4 looks really cute on you. Though it might look even better tucked into something with a high waist.

9. topknot1975
    April 27, 2018 at 6:46 am

Great job documenting your tops! So much effort but I think it really helps to look at yourself in a photo, and not just in a mirror! In figuring out your own style, what are you drawn towards? Vintage styles, colorful patterns, bold graphics, preppy flirty fun, neutrals, French classic, etc.? Are there any celebretie’s styles you like?

Looking at your tops, here are my thoughts:

1. Most flattering tops: Some of the tops you X’d out were tops that I thought were the most flattering. They showed off your small waist and lovely figure! Tops I’d reconsider keeping: (2nd row/4th column: blue tiered shirt // 3rd row/3rd column: purple black pattern belted top – This is the MOST flattering top on you!! You look so good!! // 7th row/3rd & 4th column: coral multi colored ikat pattern // 8th row/3rd & 4th column: nude taupe one shoulder top).

2. Add some different style tops: You have a lot of crew neck sleeveless tops (~20), bascially no dressier short sleeve tops, and only three long sleeves after you eliminate the others. I’d add some wrap style tops b/c the cut is so flattering on you (shows off your tiny waist!) – can be sleeveless too! [sleeveless faux wrap](https://www.loft.com/striped-ruffle-wrap-shell/468676?skuId=25124279&defaultColor=4899&catid=catl000011); [sleeveless henley ruffle](https://www.loft.com/polka-dot-ruffle-henley-shell/459825?skuId=24797795&defaultColor=4899&catid=catl000011); [sleeveless v-neck](https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1046693&pcid=72087&vid=1&pid=202036022); [short sleeve mandarin collar blouse](https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=72300&pcid=72087&vid=1&pid=201919002); blouses ([having a moment style: flared sleeve](http://www.hm.com/us/product/00288?article=00288-A); [split neck](https://www.loft.com/mosaic-striped-split-neck-blouse/468027?skuId=25119213&defaultColor=4899&catid=catl000011); [faux wrap](https://www.loft.com/striped-wrap-blouse/466415?skuId=25171563&defaultColor=4899&catid=catl000011); [button down](https://www.loft.com/rounded-collar-utility-blouse/457925?skuId=24517546&defaultColor=2633&catid=catl000011))
    2. Add some Neutral colored tops: You seem drawn toward color & pattern, which I love! So many people shy away from these. But I think your wardrobe could use some neutral tops too b/c it will increase your flexibility to mix & match.

10. DJClapyohands
    April 28, 2018 at 4:37 pm

I love the cute penguin sweater. 😀 Please tell me you are keeping it.

11. Nola_magnolia
    April 28, 2018 at 10:42 pm

Fantastic! I want to do this now! They have apps you can use to help organize items into outfits, but you could use a notebook page to slide photos together.

Colored bottoms could be cute. A black high waisted pencil skirt could look nice! The second one is really cute!

Looking for a third item such as a cure blazer, Cardigan, etc to top the outfit. It could really help tie it all together, such as a scarf in a solid color (neutral solids are an easy start). I have some wirh silver accents (thread, beads, etc) for interest.

You definitely have colors that are similar throughout, so you could look for necklaces and jewelry that would match multiple looks!

The nice thing is the tops could be dresses up or down. The coullottes that some people wear could be cute! Finding a few bottoms will help you gather your wardrobe and find your style. Often, it’s in the details. For work, I have grey and subtly printed dress pants, along with my favorite black ones. I’m short and got mine from the Banana Outlet factory petite section and still need them hemmed. Some of the shirts could be paired with a casual bottom, like a white jean skirt, and would look cute for the weekend. Dressing them up and down may help them be more versitile.

I like switching up my makeup and hairstyle too throughout the week. R/makeupaddiction is a fun thread. I can’t wait to do this!

A black dress would be a good addition!

12. Nola_magnolia
    April 28, 2018 at 10:43 pm

I like the blue with the ? Too, but I think the green one isn’t the most flattering—maybe with a white jacket over top? I have one shaped like that, and I feel like it billows around my hips.