Mustard Yellow is the color of 2018 – what colors are “out” now?

Mustard Yellow is the color of 2018 – what colors are “out” now?

Suddenly everything is mustard. Which makes me wonder… What other colors are “in”? What was last year’s color? What were the colors of a few years ago? What colors are less trendy right now? Do you all like mustard?

As a brunette white lady (with yellow undertones in my skin), I’ve always been told that I look atrocious in yellow, so I’ve been afraid to even try it.

View Reddit by mallory_towersView Source

1. MiniTapioca
    March 29, 2018 at 2:11 am

For the last few years I feel like the big color was olive green. I think mustard yellow looks amazing on woc, not so much myself I also think it’s not my color.

I don’t think any colors are really “out”. I think colors are always in as long as YOU look amazing in it!

2. sarahaw13
    March 29, 2018 at 2:29 am

I was thinking about this today! Even though I think certain colors got ‘spotlighted’ I don’t think they ever really go out. I was looking at patones [former colors of the years](https://store.pantone.com/uk/en/color-of-the-year) and they still all look good to me.

I think color is so personal and dependent on your coloring or your likes, that I can’t imagine a certain color ever being out of fashion.

In terms of yellow, I love it and it makes me so happy but it doesn’t quite go with my wardrobe. I have a mustard accent scarf that goes with a lot but I personally look better in a softer butter yellow. But my wardrobe is mainly black so the butter yellow is kinda a sharp contrast or I feel like a bumblebee

3. perspica
    March 29, 2018 at 2:57 am

Aqua and Coral are finally going down

4. weepy
    March 29, 2018 at 3:16 am

Agreed with aqua and coral going out.

Honestly I’m kind of upset about mustard yellow being in, because it’s always been one of my favourites and then eventually it’ll be “out” and “so 2018” and I’ll look dated when I wear it.

… Am I overthinking this?

5. Blahblahblahkvp
    March 29, 2018 at 3:39 am

I’m so happy about this! Mustard is really the only colour I like to wear besides neutrals and denim. I can’t stand how washed out I look in the blush and taupe tones that seem to be everywhere right now! I think there’s a perfect shade of mustard for all of us 😉

6. leefeon
    March 29, 2018 at 3:55 am

I hope this means I can buy everything in yellow. I have very blue hair and that means mustard yellow looks amazing on me!

7. oakeytee
    March 29, 2018 at 4:28 am

I think oxblood red (like a burgundy/wine red) was having quite a moment in 2016/2017 and I went overboard and I have a bunch of stuff in that color now. I’m wondering if it’ll look dated soon (or if it already does).

March 29, 2018 at 9:05 am

[deleted]

9. xNotMagicx
    March 29, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Give mustard a try! Yellow is a tricky color to find the right shade. I am very pale, and believed I wouldn’t look good in yellow–which is true for pale yellows or bright sunshine yellows. For me, mustard has just enough brown in it that it works well with my coloring, but still plenty of yellow so it’s fun and interesting.

(Also I love that mustard is in, because I love 1970s-inspired or Wes Anderson inspired color palettes, where mustard is often featured.)

10. Susccmmp
    March 29, 2018 at 12:34 pm

I never look at a color as being out, just more popular some seasons than others.
    I look good in mustard yellow and I like it as a shirt color for brown or gray bottoms.
    I’ll never stop wearing coral, it’s probably my best color.

11. vaaaare
    March 29, 2018 at 1:12 pm

As a black haired yellow skinned individual, you can’t pay me enough money to wear mustard. I’m nowhere near dark enough. While I do acknowledge that it’s *in*, I don’t think colors are as trend-dependant as other concepts might be. Specially because trends tend to be way broader and adaptable than a single color.

12. funobtainium
    March 29, 2018 at 1:51 pm

As was said, olive’s been around for a while, but I love olive and stock up JUST in case it’s hard to find at some point.

To me, any color that goes “out” that you still like just works well paired with different shades to make it look fresh again.

So olive + millennial pink might look dated soon (if it isn’t already) but if you pair olive with scarlet or plum or mustard, it’ll look different/fresh.

13. any_name_left
    March 29, 2018 at 7:19 pm

I feel like the millennial pink is going down, but will never be “out” because it’s pink.

I am so excited about mustard! I love this color and have for years. I’m pale and blonde so most yellows make me look sickly but mustard works. It’s time to stock up!

14. DConstructed
    March 29, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Here’s for Spring; “Ultra Violet” is the color of the year.

I think it’s ridiculous to wear a color that’s unflattering. Only buy what suits you.

15. beautifulpumpkin
    March 30, 2018 at 12:11 am

OP! I’m a white skinned brunette with slight yellow undertones, and while most yellow makes me look ill, a rich mustard looks amazing with my colouring. It’s my favourite colour to wear, especially with bold red/berry lip stick, it makes me feel like sex on toast. I highly encourage you to give it a go 🙂

16. doxiegrl1
    March 30, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Awesome! I need a new mustard cardigan. Anyone see any V-neck mustard cardigans in stores?

17. eclecticclub
    March 30, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Purple is going to be the next color! Pastel colors on the other hand are getting old, and I’m not happy with that. I love baby blue and rose. But I’m so excited with yellow coming up, that color is amazing. I bought a cosy yellowish sweater at Zara a year ago, and still satisfied with the color.

18. StupidGirl15
    March 31, 2018 at 2:33 am

I have loved the combo of mustard and navy, but I feel like I would look ridiculous. I’m olive skinned and feel like the makes me so much more yellow.

I’d like to see radiant orchid go away.

19. nommin
    April 3, 2018 at 10:50 pm

“Ugly-pretty” is a big trend now, both in style and in color. It seems to be a backlash to the overly sexy, look-at-me styles that were trendy in the past few years. Fashion almost always mirrors the social/economical status of the world at the time, and I view the popular ugly-pretty colors (like mustard, burnt orange, and chartreuse) as a feminist statement. These colors and styles say that women don’t need to wear conventionally sexy clothing to be respected and admired.

As for colors being “out”, I don’t think there’s really such a thing. People on here are saying that coral is out? Pair it with mom jeans and you’re trendy again. Navy is out? Pair it with the aforementioned mustard. Colors are versatile, just pair them in creative ways to revive them.