Kikuyu bride-price ceremony fashion

Kikuyu bride-price ceremony fashion

With all the amazing posts from different cultures about their traditional outfits, especially in weddings, I decided to do one for the Kikuyu tribe!

The Kikuyu are a tribe in Kenya, we are the largest cultural group although many of us are not pure Kikuyu due to intermarriage between tribes. You can read more information on the wikipedia page [here](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kikuyu_people)

Similar to the Indian culture, we have many ceremonies that make up a wedding, with each having significant steps. In this post I’m just talking about the [ruracio](https://www.blissful.co.ke/blog/items-asked-for-at-a-ruracio), or bride-price ceremony. It is usually the largest and most festive one,and is one step away from being considered traditionally married. Many modern and/or religious couples choose to have a religious ceremony following the ruracio, which is usually more western in nature eg white dress. The ruracio is an event filled with dancing, laughter and fun, and is a chance for both families to know each other and bond over good food and drink. It is also a chance for the male elders to decide what bride price should be paid to the bride’s family. I don’t want to make the post too long so I’ll link a [vlog](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcWUEqgVdfc&t=467s) of a Kenyan singer’s ruracio so you can get an idea of the festivities involved. Sorry, some of it is in Kiswahili but I’ll answer any questions you have. I couldn’t find sources for most of the pictures, they are mostly from pinterest or celebrities

[Here’s the album!!](https://imgur.com/a/LO2AS)

View Reddit by kenyan-girlView Source

1. typicalunicorns
    March 29, 2018 at 5:48 am

I love the comparison of the old photos to modern day. This is such a beautiful album. Thank you for making it

2. Susccmmp
    March 29, 2018 at 9:09 am

Thanks for sharing that.
    All the dresses seem to an identical shade. Is there a specific cloth or dye used?

3. Mikklesquid
    March 29, 2018 at 9:14 am

Really gorgeous album. Thanks for sharing. Do you see that particularly shade of brown elsewhere in fashion or is it saved specifically for wedding ceremonies?

4. clover_and_sage
    March 29, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Ha, I love the tradition with the bride-finding- very fun! I love how joyful everyone in the photos are. Thank you, this was so fun to look at and informative!

5. originalchaos
    March 29, 2018 at 1:20 pm

This is really beautiful and so different! I love the traditional elements that get carried over into modern day ceremonies.

6. tyrannosaurusregina
    March 29, 2018 at 2:14 pm

How lovely! Thank you for sharing these.

7. atrueamateur
    March 29, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’m always amazed at the structure of the beaded collar-necklaces like in images 12 and 13, they seem to retain their shape despite gravity!

8. DConstructed
    March 29, 2018 at 3:47 pm

I really like how the simple fabric highlights the beautiful and intricate jewelry.

Thank you for sharing that!

9. ClaireHux
    March 29, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Thi is very lovely! Thank you for sharing and educating us! This won’t get nearly the number of upvotes it deserves.

10. hypertonality
    March 29, 2018 at 3:58 pm

That dramatic purple dress was incredible. I’m in love with the split front (?) (Excuse my lacking fashion vocabulary). Thank you for posting, this is an awesome album! Also love the use of cowrie shells.

11. kinkysatan666
    March 29, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Ayyyeee Kikuyus represent!!

12. oswin13
    March 29, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Not gonna lie, I’m kind of obsessed with that yellow dress with the red horses all over it.

13. snugginator
    March 29, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Wow this is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing, it’s awesome to learn about other cultures.

14. last10push
    March 29, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Wow, I’ve never heard of this ceremony! How lovely. Thank you for taking the time to share it. 🙂

15. Stroopwafelsiron
    March 29, 2018 at 11:58 pm

Really cool! On the old photos it almost looks like the women are wearing leather dresses and not fabric? Do you know?

16. Legenderie
    March 30, 2018 at 12:51 am

I love this!

My dad’s family is from Western Province, but is ethnically Somali, so I don’t know too much about the different tribal customs. I love the custom of selecting your bride from the line of women covered in kikoy(?). The second last picture actually looks like a traditional Somali couple (the guy is wearing shirt with the Somali flag on it lol), but I could be mistaken.

17. age-of-alejandro
    March 30, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Awesome album! The look like they’re having an absolute blast and the clothes are all pretty fabulous!

18. Paula_Polestark
    March 31, 2018 at 2:57 am

TIL…

Educational *and* fun photos! It must really be something to join in a celebration like that.

19. ScoutFinch12
    March 31, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Thank you so much for posting this gorgeous and fun album!

20. manstop
    April 7, 2018 at 2:05 am

Wow how beautiful!! Thanks for sharing. I am indian so am no stranger to extravagant weddings, and it’s cool to see that other cultures go all out as us.

One thing I noticed besides the fashion was the huge smile on everybody’s face. So heartwarming to see, you can literally feel the joy through the screen.