PSA: Zara, Urban Outfitters and many other companies plagiarize artists’ designs and sell them as their own.

Some examples of [Zara’s](http://shoparttheft.com/).

[Urban Outfitters, too.](http://guardianlv.com/2014/05/urban-outfitters-has-been-ripping-off-artists-for-years/)

[Here’s another article](https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-how-artists-are-fighting-back-against-the-fashion-industry-s-plagiarism-problem) with more info.

Not trying to be preachy, but also want to help support individuals in the creative industry who are getting screwed over.

“If independent artists can make sure they don’t infringe on each other’s work, surely the world’s largest global fashion retailer has employees who can spend an hour with Google image search and Pinterest to ensure copyright infringement isn’t happening, no matter where or with whom the art they’re using originates.”

Edit: “lol, I already knew this who cares” doesn’t really add anything to this conversation.

View Reddit by number34View Source

1. hayberry
    February 28, 2018 at 9:12 pm

They also [don’t pay their workers](https://www.fastcompany.com/40492215/the-real-story-behind-those-desperate-notes-that-zara-workers-left-in-clothes) and much of their clothes are made by virtual slaves. Not to say that independent artists aren’t important, but there are people literally [dying](https://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/04/26/these-retailers-involved-in-bangladesh-factory-disaster-have-yet-to-compensate-victims/#4631d79d211b).

2. KnockMeYourLobes
    February 28, 2018 at 10:04 pm

I knew LLR pulled this shit. Seriously?

3. Manhaclara
    February 28, 2018 at 10:41 pm

Who has money to be an ethical consumer though lol

4. ebonycynthia
    February 28, 2018 at 11:37 pm

Honestly, I’m not sure why people are shocked by this. Companies copy looks all the time, this is the business model for most fast fashion companies.

5. goodluckcat57
    March 1, 2018 at 12:45 am

No such thing as ethical consumption.

6. mclovinsgirl
    March 1, 2018 at 12:49 am

Also, Urban Outfitters literally sued the Navajo Nation after they appropriate Navajo designs. These are just some of the countless ways they’ve showed how horrible a company they are.

March 1, 2018 at 1:01 am

[deleted]

8. WorkReddit8420
    March 1, 2018 at 1:16 am

I go out of my way to support small business’s but I feel likeyour post is just a waste of time and so are my comments.

The general public just does not care about this stuff. And Zara has built an amazing business ripping off original work.

What is the point of us even pointing this out? Does anyone even care?

General public just buys copy cat MK or Kate Spade or Coach generic stuff and has no interest in anything original or inspiring.

Ill just walk myself out.

9. DingDingDensha
    March 1, 2018 at 2:44 am

Big companies don’t care. They know it’s unlikely that some small artist is going to be able to afford to get the big guns out and send lawyers after them to sue. Even if they were sued and lost, it would be a drop in the bucket for them to pay out for whatever they earned on, say, a 3000 piece run. It’s a risk they don’t mind taking.

Source: Worked as a character design and logo artist for a medium sized t-shirt company that regularly had me rip off whatever designs they saw around, back in the day of “Princess” and “I (heart) ME” tshirts. Once I got fed up with how sleazy they were and left, they promptly screwed me out of the contract I had with them allowing a certain amount of control over a character I created and licensed out to them. Oh yeah – and then they left the country. I got to see a copy artist mangle my original designs after that, and I certainly didn’t have the means to sue, especially internationally, back then. They don’t care as long as it’s trendy at the time and might earn them some quick and dirty, low effort $$$.

10. supermodel-robot
    March 1, 2018 at 3:01 am

~capitalism~

11. Sparkling_beauty
    March 1, 2018 at 4:08 am

Who buys Zara? The quality of the brand is awful.

12. HPlovah
    March 1, 2018 at 4:26 am

So does Lularoe. [derivative Lularoe](https://www.facebook.com/derivativelularoe/) has tons of evidence. Shameful.

13. gurlualreadyknoww
    March 1, 2018 at 4:34 am

wait did people not know this??? lol

14. igbythecat
    March 1, 2018 at 7:07 am

Had this happen to me, a big company completely stole one of my designs and the worst thing is there’s nothing to be done. They’re a huge company with lots of money and I’m not.

15. eveningtrain
    March 1, 2018 at 7:23 am

My sis and I met Sara M Lyons at one of the Anaheim Artwalks. She was rad. Her designs are rad. And she has taken legal action against several big companies that have filched her art and designs!!!

16. CantLoveEveryCat
    March 1, 2018 at 9:34 am

True, when I worked at Inditex I needed to know what items were “inspired” aka copied of other designers so that way I could give that info to customers to sell the items better.

17. zivjoli
    March 1, 2018 at 11:16 am

people used to come into my stores and try to take photos of small, independent designer’s garments all the time. i’d have to chase them out to keep them from trying to steal their designs. it was awful! some of them were really confrontational.

18. Tacocatx2
    March 1, 2018 at 11:27 am

My daughter caught one of these copycats and notified the artist. We were shopping, we saw a cute tshirt with a cactus design. My daughter recognised the artwork because she admires the artists work and follows her on social media. So she contacted the artist and sent her a photo of the garment. The artist confirmed that the retailer had no right to that image, and thanked my daughter for bringing it to her attention.

19. originalcondition
    March 1, 2018 at 4:52 pm

http://shoparttheft.tumblr.com/ is a place that points out art/design theft in clothing and accessories (among other things) and points you toward the shop of the original designer. Not exactly going to fix the problem in its entirety but at least it helps!

March 1, 2018 at 5:27 pm

[deleted]

21. super_cheeky
    March 1, 2018 at 7:28 pm

To be fair this is the same thing that cheaper brands do when they make “dupes” of designer pieces. It’s still artistic integrity that is being violated. So where do we draw the line of outrage here?

22. tonepoems
    March 1, 2018 at 7:53 pm

I’m a graphic designer and have seen illustrations and work from people I’ve known and worked with get ripped off by retail stores (for a while Hot Topic and Forever 21 were huge offenders).

There’s actually a blog dedicated to spotted stolen work called [“You Thought We Wouldn’t Notice”](http://www.youthoughtwewouldntnotice.com/) that aims to call out stolen work in case you’re ever interested in checking it out.

23. FloweringAntimony
    March 14, 2018 at 12:45 am

Zara has been long known to rip stuff off tho.