The Black Panther premiere had some of the strongest red carpet looks I’ve ever seen. Could Black Panther be a potential fashion film?

[Gallery of looks here ](https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/red-carpet-dresses/gmp15920220/black-panther-premiere-red-carpet/)

I honestly can’t remember a single premiere red carpet that looked this good or so cohesive.

Do you think there is any room for comic book films to be seen as fashion films? I know sci-fi and action films often are, but there are rarely looks from comic book films that have huge fashion moments. But if the red carpet for Black Panther is anything to go by, the cast are definitely worth keeping an eye on.

View Reddit by secretlysnailView Source

1. blorence
    January 31, 2018 at 1:29 pm

haven’t seen the movie but GOOD LORD these are so beautiful I could cry

edit: oh, duh, the movie hasn’t premiered yet.
    guess I meant to say, “i know nothing about movies in general”

2. mbaby
    January 31, 2018 at 1:30 pm

I am STUNNED looking at these. I can’t even list my favourites because there are more favourites than non favourites. Personally I think this is what happens when people feel truly free to express the beauty of a culture and in most red carpet cases that would position you as ‘different’ in a way you may not want.

3. cocoabutterkisses_
    January 31, 2018 at 1:35 pm

I’m intrigued by the idea of fashion films-what do you mean and what are some movies you’d recommend watching for that purpose? Thanks!

4. pee_and_keele
    January 31, 2018 at 1:44 pm

TIL I want to dress like Chadwick Boseman

5. gogosa
    January 31, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Angela Bassett is a Goddess

6. Deiji-
    January 31, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Chloe and Halle Bailey are soooo good.

Also wearing a real gold crown to a premier is a new level of extra, haha.

7. coffeeatdaybreak
    January 31, 2018 at 2:05 pm

These are glorious!

One reason that the red carpet for comic book films is usually boring is that these films are mostly white dudes, whose actors turn up in fashion that barely registers above casual, lest their credentials as cool white dudes may suffer.

8. PME_your_problems
    January 31, 2018 at 2:21 pm

I frickin love Janeshia Adams-Ginyard’s dress.

9. aloeANDclay
    January 31, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Donald Glover 😍😍😍

10. thesecondkira
    January 31, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Janelle Monae is killing it. Do yourself a favor and Google more photos of that getup.

January 31, 2018 at 2:30 pm

>Do you think there is any room for comic book films to be seen as fashion films?

Going by the trailer alone for Black Panther, I think it’s a real possibility. I think the issue for comic book films is that comic book costumes tend to be skintight bodysuits based on 1) ease of drawing and 2) appealing to the male gaze, so there’s not a lot of variety.

12. AlwaysNeverNotFresh
    January 31, 2018 at 2:33 pm

These are way too fresh

13. oprahsturtlefarm
    January 31, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Seth Carr’s Stella McCartney velvet (I think??) mustard blazer makes me want to cry my eyes out. As a grown woman, I don’t think I’ve ever coveted a piece of boy’s clothing so much??

14. LostinSpaceFluxx
    January 31, 2018 at 2:44 pm

I was drooling all over the purple carpet looks yesterday!! It’s getting me so hyped for the movie. To top it all off, the movie itself got incredible reviews so now i’m even more excited for Feb 16!!!

15. rhaemz
    January 31, 2018 at 2:52 pm

My favorite thing about this movie is that they were told to wear “royal attire” to the red carpet, and a majority of the crew came wearing traditional African clothing/print. I can’t wait to see the impact this film has once it gets released

16. coffee_for_dinner
    January 31, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Wow… Stunning. I love all the colours and how personal and unique every look is. I want more of this.

17. anevy
    January 31, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Laetitia Wright’s dress is stunning. So many interesting and beautiful design choices. This is the first I’ve been genuinely excited for a superhero movie in a while!

18. ColombianWarZone
    January 31, 2018 at 3:14 pm

I really think so. I mean, Black Panther is being so hyped up already, more than any other superhero movie I can think of… (except maybe Batman? idk) I would be surprised if there’s not more afropunk-influenced clothing in mainstream boutiques. Especially now that POC are really pushing for diversity in the beauty and fashion industries. BP-inspired fashion sounds like a safe bet to add “diversity”

19. supreme_mugwump
    January 31, 2018 at 3:19 pm

That yellow fringe…I am GAGGED. She looks sickening

20. glaceauglaceau
    January 31, 2018 at 3:28 pm

I don’t like Cobie’s or Olivia Holt’s outfits. I think the styling is a little too sleek and 90s for Cobie, and the shoes are clunky for Olivia.

I really like Lupita’s, but she can basically do no wrong. And Janelle’s is so extra with the crown, love it. Chadwick has my favorite outfit for the guys.

21. caca_milis_
    January 31, 2018 at 3:44 pm

I’m a Marvel nerd so I’m excited for this movie anyway.

When I saw the trailer I was gobsmacked,they’ve really gone out of their way to make Wakanda look so vibrant, the costumes look good, too.

I’m really hoping they knock it out of the park with this movie.

22. widyo
    January 31, 2018 at 3:47 pm

black. girl. magic.

23. MsSanAntonio11754
    January 31, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Looooove Lupita’s look! Childish Gambino looking really sharp!

24. highlight4life
    January 31, 2018 at 4:02 pm

I cannot properly describe how happy it makes me to see so many strong, fiercely talented people of color celebrated and celebrating with these stunning outfits. To me it’s like every look conveys the pride and strength that has not been recognized en masse by the entertainment industry, which is a damn shame.

Black Panther is shaping up to be one of the best superhero movies in recent few years, and the fact that it seems to be majority cast with POC actors and actresses is fucking wonderful.

25. mariahmce
    January 31, 2018 at 4:10 pm

Absolutely. This movie looks to be so lovingly crafted, especially the outfits. EW did an interview with the costume designer. You’d be amazed at how much research was done on traditional clothing from cultures around the world to incorporate it into a wardrobe that is both traditional as well as futuristic. They pointed out specific outfits from the movie and how in one outfit certain parts would inspired by different cultures but brought together for to achieve a cohesive look and feel.

Edit: [Here’s](http://ew.com/movies/black-panther-costumes-behind-the-design/fit-for-a-queen) the article!

26. Thekillersofficial
    January 31, 2018 at 4:12 pm

The costumes in the movie from what ive seen so far are spectacular. Even the black Panthers costume itself is outrageously beautiful and intricate.

27. intrtwngld
    January 31, 2018 at 4:13 pm

ISSA RAE!!!!

i love rosie assoulin & i love issa, she looks like an actual space goddess in that outfit

28. oreo-cat-
    January 31, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Damn, as a ridiculously white person I really want to wear my ankara print dress now that the weather is warmer, but I don’t know.

29. Paula_Polestark
    January 31, 2018 at 4:33 pm

I have to confess when I clicked that link I was expecting more navy/red/black/safe neutrals, because that’s what I associate with red carpet outfits… But I’m glad to admit I was wrong! May we see much more of *this* in 2018! I mean, if you can afford to look like a million bucks and you’re at a super-special event, why **not**? ^^Disclaimer: ^^I ^^am ^^actually ^^an ^^ignorant ^^lil ^^gremlin ^^who ^^is ^^unfamiliar ^^with ^^the ^^fabulous ^^people ^^in ^^the ^^photographs

(I was going to see the movie anyway. It looked way too action-packed to pass up.)

30. nickdeedle
    January 31, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Omfg the first one, Lupita holy hell that is the most beautiful dress

31. amelisha
    January 31, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Lupita’s dress, wow. I am not normally attracted to Versace but if ever a dress suited a person perfectly…so good!

I mostly came to comment on how amazing the kids look though, they are all TO THE NINES and adorable.

I don’t know if individually I would have been blown away by all of these, but as a group it is so, so striking and maximalist and luxe and as a lover of colours I am here for it.

32. hellodaisy
    January 31, 2018 at 5:31 pm

All of these looks are to die for!

I would definitely say this is a fashion film. When Disney had their big biannual convention earlier this year in July, they had an entire pavillion devoted to Black Panther that was pretty much solely a walk through display of costumes from the movie. It was so mindblowing! I can’t wait for it to hit theaters.

January 31, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Always look forward to seeing what Lupita will wear. She plays with color and shape a lot and it always looks gorgeous.

I definitely think comic book films could be seen as “fashion” films, especially if we start having more of them directed by or starring women.

34. tehdollyllama
    January 31, 2018 at 5:38 pm

I love love love all of these outfits ! So fierce!

35. LuckyEra
    January 31, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Even though I love these outfits, ever since I read [this article](https://www.manrepeller.com/2017/05/celebrity-shoes-red-carpet.html) I can’t help but feel frustrated over people’s shoe game on the red carpet.

36. Daniellewhatever
    January 31, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Gawd. These are all such beautiful looks. It’s fun to be so equally inspired by the woman’s AND men’s fashion!! Donald Glover and Chadwick Boseman are my new fashion icons.

37. NotQuiteDomestic
    January 31, 2018 at 6:37 pm

OMG I was DROOLING over these looks.

38. babyraaa
    January 31, 2018 at 6:53 pm

See this is what I like to see from a red carpet selection- people sticking to a dress code and showing off colours and prints without doing that “weird for the sake of weird” styling. If you took a snapshot of everyone together it would look stunning!

39. askmeifilikeanal
    January 31, 2018 at 6:58 pm

My favorites, someone with no real fashion experience lmao, 1) Angela Basset 2) Tanika ray 3) angel Parker

I’m not over that naeem khan jumpsuit it is perfect

January 31, 2018 at 7:11 pm

I am HERE for it. I would watch a fucking feature-length movie just of these people walking red carpets because they all look amazing.

And Lupita N’yongo has been rocking my fashion world since her award season for 12 years a slave. Award season is usually 33 shades of off-white gowns and she was rolling up in gorgeous, gem-encrusted bold-ass coloured gowns.

41. Pettyinblack
    January 31, 2018 at 7:15 pm

SHOOOOOK

42. leftwinglovechild
    January 31, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Strongest red carpet I’ve seen in years. Incredible style and bold choices. I’m so impressed.

43. Iscrollforlinks
    January 31, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Lupita Nyong’o’s gown is absolute perfection.

44. MonkeyyToes
    January 31, 2018 at 8:15 pm

Oh my god, I want EVERY SINGLE ITEM

45. monsteraz
    January 31, 2018 at 8:34 pm

This is the proof that men’s gala wear can also be spectacular

46. Whateverclothes1
    January 31, 2018 at 10:11 pm

HOT DAMN! These looks are killing meeeee. Maybe it’s the bottle of moscato talking but I am ready. To. Shop. Everything is on in that album. Hair. Clothes. People, woah.

January 31, 2018 at 10:17 pm

[deleted]

48. allyjayrey
    January 31, 2018 at 10:18 pm

26 looks like a beautiful lion fish!

49. So_Schilly
    January 31, 2018 at 10:52 pm

Donald Glover in that orange Dolce & Gabbana. I have no words.

Lupita looks amazing as usual. This is by far the most exciting red carpet I’ve seen in years. Fashion is supposed to be fun, I think that gets lost sometimes.

50. genesisofDOOM
    February 1, 2018 at 12:23 am

As 👏 if 👏 I wasn’t 👏 hyped 👏 enough 👏 for this 👏 movie 👏

These looks are amazing and I am so glad the guys stepped up and wore just as striking and interesting looks as the ladies. Such amazing colors, fabrics, and textures, I am so excited.

51. ClaireHux
    February 1, 2018 at 12:46 am

Stunning, stunning looks. The outfit on Yara Shahadi is all that and more. There were a few plain looks…

52. rofosho
    February 1, 2018 at 1:39 am

Lupita looks like a queen

53. vodkalime
    February 1, 2018 at 2:23 am

Janelle took a break from her black and white!

February 1, 2018 at 2:50 am

Holy crap everyone looks STUNNING.

55. namelbisivni
    February 1, 2018 at 3:12 am

The lady on the left in yellow just really tripped me out, because for whatever reason I thought the yellow was a dress and the purple was a slip that had somehow made her legs invisible and now I realize it’s just a hella rad jumper

56. blackninjakitty
    February 1, 2018 at 3:32 am

These are amazing, as are the costumes. I am so hyped for this.

57. BeffyBear
    February 1, 2018 at 3:59 am

Issa Rae… those sunray pleats. Love.
    Also loving Marija’s look with the different print on the underside of her dress!

58. kenyan-girl
    February 1, 2018 at 10:25 am

while I loved all the outfits, David Oyelowo is really letting me (and the rest of Africa) down. what is uncle wearing? He’s usually so well dressed, his tailor really let him down

59. serene_green
    February 1, 2018 at 12:25 pm

I really like how Abney’s dress has a different pattern in the lining that you can see with the slit.

Overall not really *my* thing but I can appreciate seeing some fresh looks.

60. seige197
    February 1, 2018 at 12:35 pm

I can honestly say I’ve never clicked through a fashion/awards show/premier album and enjoyed **every single outfit** until this one. Mind blown. They brought it. Michael B Jordan is so drool-worthy. Wow.

61. ncog_neat_o
    February 1, 2018 at 12:50 pm

This is blowing my mind. EVERYTHING/EVERYONE IS SO BEAUTIFUL.

62. corgi-potato
    February 2, 2018 at 7:17 pm

I just cried inside because everyone looks so beautiful and inspiring!! Thank you for sharing this!

63. r9440
    May 29, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Can’t believe I’m only seeing this album now. My god, all of them looked AMAZING. Had I not watched Black Panther, their red carpet looks WOULD make me watch it!