Article on capsule wardrobe from Manrepeller, which I find interesting.

Article on capsule wardrobe from Manrepeller, which I find interesting.

[Here](https://www.manrepeller.com/2018/01/how-to-capsule-wardrobe.html) is a very useful article on the efficacy of a capsule wardrobe by Pandora Sykes.

I didn’t really know who she is until now, but I suppose she is a writer/stylist/influencer. But her style is on point. Most instagram stars all have the same “cool girl” look, but her style is just better, more interesting. See [here] (http://www.pandorasykes.com/reimagining-princess-dianas-iconic-looks-man-repeller/)

I really loved her capsule wardrobe: I have at least half of the things she listed: black skirt, blazer, bretton t-shirt, which I do wear all the time, like literally all the time.

The thing I realize from reading this article is that even if we don’t have capsule wardrobes, there are only about 10 items -out of the 50-200 pieces we own, that we wear over and over again.

It’s useful to think about the items that we do wear often, and why these items work.

I have just “two tees” that work very well on me. And I have sold/left in a box all the other tees. I have a black turtleneck tee that works on every outfit, and a white boxy one that just drapes me very well. All the other tees are not bad, but I just don’t think about wearing them.

Sometimes we just gravitate toward things that are easily styled and work with any outfit. What do you think?

View Reddit by cagedcatView Source

1. m4dswine
    January 20, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Personally I do have a capsule wardrobe. I may have more than 10-20 individual items but many of those are straight up duplicates or very similar styles with a small variation.

2. BravoBrava
    January 20, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I have had both an extensive and a capsule wardrobe. And I have always felt best with a smaller wardrobe of perfect things. Am working on reducing the current wardrobe and only keeping the items that make me feel amazing. It’s quite liberating.

3. Nightrabbit
    January 20, 2018 at 7:45 pm

I was just reading the Curated Closet book and one quote that stuck out at me was that owning two or more of the same item type “smacks of emotional attachment”. That you don’t need a back up item for every item you love. I have always lived in a world of, well, if you like a black tee, have a few of them! Having more of my staples makes me feel secure, I think, even if I don’t wear them.

4. MSDurham
    January 20, 2018 at 9:12 pm

I hadn’t been very impressed with ManRepeller in the past but love this article and will give it another chance and will follow Pandora Sykes. I love how specific she was- including links, different price points and examples and everything really is very mix and matchable.

5. blow_pop_xD
    January 20, 2018 at 10:41 pm

I don’t like the whole capsule wardrobe thing because personally, I tried wearing just 15 different pieces all the time and it made me feel uninspired and honestly unmotivated in different areas of my life

I don’t shop too often and never buy anything full-price so I don’t feel bad about having a larger wardrobe. It makes me happy. And also I try not to buy things that look similar. Variety is the spice of life for me!

6. tyrannosaurusregina
    January 20, 2018 at 11:10 pm

I always think Pandora Sykes looks cool when I see her photo in street style roundups, so thanks for this!

7. amarilee
    January 20, 2018 at 11:15 pm

I really enjoyed this – thanks! Like her, I became a capsule wardrobe devotee accidentally after a big move (I could only bring two suitcases), and maintained it by virtue of a small apartment and sharing (2/3 in my favour to be fair) the closet and dresser with my husband. It took me a long time to realise that I didn’t miss my options.

8. Swimmingindiamonds
    January 21, 2018 at 1:56 am

Is that Plum’s sister?

Not a capsule wardrobe person personally but I like some of her picks.

9. petitedancer11
    January 21, 2018 at 3:27 am

I desperately wish I could do a capsule wardrobe, but I lament the clothes that I can’t wear. I spend weeks and months hunting down the perfect piece, and not wearing it is a waste in my mind. I also have several pieces that I don’t wear often but have a specific use; as a sorority advisor I attend initiation twice a year, and I’ve a lovely cream dress with a rose print that I always wear. I might not be wearing it once a week, but it’s serving it’s purpose! Still, to the paired down people who can pull off a capsule, my hat is off to you!

10. LokianEule
    January 21, 2018 at 4:33 am

It’s this kind of stuff that makes me think people back then who wore just a few different outfits forever and over and over didn’t have it so wrong. They got nice outfits tailored to them and just changed the under-clothing (underwear) day by day.

11. kittyspacecadet
    January 21, 2018 at 5:49 am

What do you mean by “cool girl” look? Maybe I follow too many people on Instagram but her style doesn’t look very different from other popular trends all over Instagram

12. Polypora
    January 21, 2018 at 6:43 am

I am living out of my suitcase for a month already and never was happier.
    Two pairs of pants and a skirt and two pair of boots is more than enough, surprisingly. And this way of closet organization does reduce morning getting ready anxiety. And saves money – I don’t want to buy anything, when I feel that I have all I need already

13. handsfeet00
    January 21, 2018 at 11:48 am

I was recently pregnant and so had a very limited wardrobe like the writer. I missed my clothes so much. Even now I’m only able to wear a portion of my wardrobe. The year before I was pregnant I was also obsessed, like many people, with trying to pair down my clothes and had a fantasy about having a capsule wardrobe but I have to say that having an accidental capsule has cured me of this obsession. I’m all for taking good care of clothing, tailoring and buying quality pieces but I don’t think that wearing a small selection of clothes until they fall apart inspiring. I much rather rotate through more clothes over a longer period of time. It’s much more fun and much easier to manage with laundering.

14. AC_Sheep
    January 21, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Pandora! I love the podcast she and Dolly Alderton host called The High Low. I highly recommend their recent episode with Tina Brown.

15. perfidious_snatch
    January 21, 2018 at 5:00 pm

I had a capsule wardrobe when I was pregnant, and it was brilliant! I loved it! I’m trying to recreate that feeling of simplicity in my wardrobe, but I have found that I need more pieces now.
    Back when it was just me and Bump, getting multiple wears out of clothes was easy. Now that Bump is a fully fledged Mess-Monster I get messy a lot faster, and some things don’t spot-clean out easily!

16. Silkkiuikku
    January 21, 2018 at 10:05 pm

I basically wear the same outfit everyday. For most of the year it’s skirt + shirt + tights + cardigan. In the summer I just wear sundresses.

17. hayberry
    January 22, 2018 at 9:58 am

What a weird article. It starts with her saying that she’s really turned around on capsule wardrobes and then…she doesn’t really talk about why? Just lists some items in her specific capsule wardrobe? She doesn’t really go into the theory of it which makes this article pretty useless imo.

Personally, I like to create a seasonal capsule wardrobe out of items I own and stuff I want to make/buy, based on the colors/vibes I’m into at the moment. The items also go with items that I already have in my wardrobe. It forces me to be creative, while also allowing me choice, and gives a direction for my hobbies (knitting, sewing…) so it’s been working well for me.

18. jvnbyjovani
    January 22, 2018 at 11:29 am

I think the idea is good – having some great, very solid pieces that you love how it fits. However, I don’t see the harm in making it more exciting with other pieces that may not fit into the capsule wardrobe.

19. nogiraffetattoo
    January 22, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Quite a few people are commenting about how they dislike capsule wardrobes. I’m not here to tell anyone to dress one way or another, but I think the idea of a capsule wardrobe can always be helpful, because most of us are limited at some point or another, usually in travel, and that’s when the concept of a capsule can be so, so useful, even if it’s not your style for life.

20. quentin_tortellini
    January 23, 2018 at 5:01 am

I feel like capsule collections are a great jumping off point. Especially for people like me, who are looking to build a core collection to start their wardrobe with. Researching capsule collections has helped me think about those core pieces that I would wear every day (For example, planning out that, ok: I need one pair of regular jeans, one pair of high waisted black jeans, one black mid length skirt, etc). Once I get that foundation, I plan on ditching the concept and building up my “fun” pieces to complement and add variety to it. Just because don’t believe that it’s necessary to restrict yourself to <50 pieces in your wardrobe. But, I’m glad that I came across the concept because I feel like it’s going to help me plan my wardrobe without wasting time and money in the process