because we all deserve to wear plaid sometimes: am inclusively preppy inspiration album

[album](https://imgur.com/a/vQvcn)

Because I am an unapologetic prep and I hate how exclusive preppy style is often perceived as, here’s an inspiration album for anyone who’s ever felt like an imposter while wearing a blazer– but especially girls of colour and plus-size girls.

Props to The Black Prep on Tumblr for giving me a lot of cool images to work with, and u/IntrudingAlligator who I totally stole this idea from.

View Reddit by thrash-unrealView Source

1. bellends
    January 19, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Great album! I really want to incorporate preppiness into my style because it makes me feel a bit more put together/adult/business ready but it’s hard. I think I, alongside many 20-somethings, feel that I’m scared to fully abandon my more young-looking clothes because I feel like once I make my wardrobe “adult” then I won’t be able to turn back.

Although if the dress from no. 29 is from ~~Topshop~~ New Look then I have the same exact one which I snatched up for the insane bargain of £2 in a charity shop… am now feeling inspired to wear it again!

2. lumenphosphor
    January 19, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh I’m already excited about this. My style used to be very N.E prep but I don’t know how to wear it as a grown up? Like I feel like my interpretation of this look is still in high school because I never quite figure out how to age it up.

Edit: I’m also so excited about the inclusivity (I opened it up and saw the body and race diversity and felt so happy. I dressed similarly to the other girls in my all girls independent school–more elbow patch preppy than vera bradley preppy which was the look for lots of girls—but I was one of a few people that looked like me in that school). Sometimes I worried that I couldn’t wear what some other girls were wearing just because my complexion (and a lot of times also my body type) was so different.

January 19, 2018 at 4:40 pm

OMG Perfect Album!

Does anyone know where I can get that green/blue plaid dress in the 2nd to bottom picture?

4. hellodaisy
    January 19, 2018 at 5:20 pm

this is perfect!!

5. Adelaidey
    January 19, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Oh, fantastic. I have such a hard time finding outfit inspiration photos from people on the high end of standard sizing. It feels like 99% of standard fashion bloggers are size 2 and willowy, but 99% of plus size bloggers are like size 22 and hourglass shaped- mad respect to both of those looks, of course, but neither are helpful for me! Can you point me in the direction of more like you posted?

6. bruhbruhbruhbria
    January 19, 2018 at 5:53 pm

This is my dream style. Thank you for including curvy girls and woc!

I’m a short, mixed girl with too much junk in the trunk and tops that never button. I struggle with pulling the look off confidently. I’m definitely going to use this

7. has_no_name
    January 19, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Love this!! I’m a huge fan of Tanesha Awasthi ([@girlwithcurves](https://www.instagram.com/girlwithcurves/) on IG).

And thank you for posting such a lovely, inclusive album!

8. mghuss
    January 19, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Love this so much!!! Also that plaid blazer in (I think) the 3rd picture? NEED

I dress prep most of the time in a town where flannel and snowmobile coats are the norm… so I don’t get much inspiration locally. Thanks for sharing this!!

Unrelated, but OP is your username in reference to the Against Me! song?

9. nhmedstudent
    January 19, 2018 at 6:37 pm

They all look gorgeous! I LOVE preppy style and I think it works on everyone.

10. K_Moxy
    January 19, 2018 at 6:50 pm

I don’t consider myself to be preppy, but I would/do wear most of the things in this album. So maybe I am?

I also really appreciate the diversity you included in this album. Great work!

11. Maude_ville
    January 19, 2018 at 6:56 pm

I’ve always described my style as “punk schoolteacher” BUT I TOTALLY FORGOT PREPPY EXISTED!

Thank you for helping me put words to my style 😄 People are so put off by well put-together preppy outfits, and I haven’t yet figured out how to tone it down without looking sloppy :-/

12. sydchez
    January 19, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Freaking love that blue blazer/shorts combo, amazing.

13. deviltje
    January 19, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Perfect work wear album! Saved! Would you know which brands I could be looking for? I’m in Germany and Boden seems to fall very much in line with that, although it’s more BritPrep than American.

I have to say though the black-white combos are too priest-y for me 😁

14. peppermintvalet
    January 19, 2018 at 8:58 pm

I would classify these as too form fitting to be truly preppy but that could just be me suffering PTSD from going to a college where most of the girls were in pearls at 7 am.

15. cyborgnyc
    January 19, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Lurking ‘male’. Love these looks though!

16. sonyaellenmann
    January 19, 2018 at 9:28 pm

Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe from Gossip Girl is not exactly “wearable” / professional but it’s my favorite rendition of this style EVER.

17. spooky_f0x
    January 20, 2018 at 12:43 am

I looooove the preppy style! I still wear it. I refer to it as my “British schoolgirl” style, but…come on. It’s plaid skirts, button-ups, cardigans, and Oxford shoes…. I’d dress like that every single day if i didn’t feel silly.

18. DorcasTheCat
    January 20, 2018 at 1:29 am

I love love love a preppy (well USA prep mixed with UK sloane) look but it is something that really isn’t done in Australia. IG makes me weep at all the pretty things that I can’t buy or have to sell a kidney to afford.

19. pandabear8888
    January 20, 2018 at 2:34 am

This is cute, but there’s too much black fabric! (Not black people — I’m talking about the clothes, not the women pictured).

In true northern prep fashion, black is reserved for LBDs and cocktail attire only. Replace with Navy and you’re golden.

20. galaxygargoyle
    January 20, 2018 at 4:49 am

This is what I want my life to look like. Great album!

21. SadElvenMermaid
    January 20, 2018 at 5:43 am

u hav good username (damn i wish i had hips haha)

22. haloarh
    January 20, 2018 at 8:41 am

Thank you for this. I love preppy fashions.

23. crusadingAquila
    January 20, 2018 at 10:48 am

I never considered ‘preppy’ as a word for my style – I don’t think it’s a word heard often in the UK, given how American-centric* it is – but 4, 5, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, and 20 are all things I’d very much wear. Just tweaked – no tight skirts, longer skirts or trousers, no heels, and I’m not fond of sandals to be honest. I have fat, stumpy sausage toes and hunchback little toes – not feet to show off.

(*Not that I’m judging or complaining, of course.)

24. Nekiram
    January 20, 2018 at 12:50 pm

I like the grey skirt in pic 5, anyone know where it’s from?

25. IniMiney
    January 20, 2018 at 1:58 pm

Plaid’s the best thing ever – and not just because I’m gay, but also because I never got enough out of my pop punk years as a tween.

26. graceb123
    January 20, 2018 at 5:03 pm

The navy plaid + fuschia cardigan is an amaaazing combo. I love it. Anyone know what monogram that is? Is it Abercrombie? Also, is it just me or does that look like a more “structured” cardigan?

27. Rayotap
    January 22, 2018 at 2:08 am

I guess it’s because I’m more used to the WASP hunting lodge /r/navyblazer/ kind of prep but most of the outfits in here scream J. Crew catalog with a dash of Blair Waldorf. None of these outfits scream the snarky understated inclusivity I’d consider to be preppy. However, nice concept! So many gorgeous girls in this album.