Read this before posting!
Welcome to /r/femalefashionadvice! Please read our policies below before posting, or check out our [wiki](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/wiki/index) for a more complete set of FAQs, community expectations, and more.
**Before you post**
##Is your post spam?
For the purposes of this subreddit, spam is anything that we deem to be made purely with the intent to generate traffic to another website or abuse FFA’s structure to promote a website or a blog. Our spam policy is zero-tolerance – spammers will be banned immediately. If you believe you have been banned wrongly, please feel free to [message the moderators](http://www.reddit.com/message/compose?to=%2Fr%2Ffemalefashionadvice) – note, however, that this does not guarantee or even imply a reversal of a ban.
The following things are considered spam or suggest to us that a user may be spamming FFA. Please report any of the following:
* Affiliate links (a link that is tied back to you such that you will profit from users clicking that link or buying something from it)
* Users without histories of legitimate comments (on Reddit in general or in FFA) beginning to push one website or company
* Users with usernames that consist of/include a website or company name (use your best judgment here)
If there is a website, service, product, blog, etc., you are legitimately excited about and want to share with FFA, please feel free to do so. However, if you are employed by the company or it is your own blog, message the moderators for approval prior to doing so and review our [brand participation policy](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/wiki/faq#wiki_on_brand_participation_in_ffa). This is to ensure that FFA is not exploited for website traffic or monetary gain, and that the subreddit is not overrun with unrelated spam. This is one of many reasons we are self-post only – you may find further clarification of that policy [here](http://redd.it/18qd4v).
##Is your post in the right place?
There are many subreddits related to clothing and personal appearance. Here is an incomplete list, along with their purposes:
* /r/findfashion – If your question is, “please help me find this article of clothing (in my size, for cheaper, in my country)” or similar, please use this subreddit. Alternatively, check out our recurring Find Fashion thread posted Fridays.
* /r/frugalfemalefashion – Posts about sales, coupons, or other deals belong here.
* /r/wardrobepurge – Trying to sell or buy clothing? Check out Wardrobe Purge!
* /r/makeupaddiction, /r/fancyfollicles, /r/skincareaddiction – for makeup, hair, and skincare advice, respectively. Alternatively, check out our recurring Hair, Makeup, Skincare, Fitness and Fragrance thread posted Tuesdays.
##Is your post better suited to one of our recurring threads?
FFA has a series of weekly recurring threads that consolidate some of our most common concerns. Our most up-to-date schedule of threads can be found in the sidebar.
* [Simple Questions](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=simple+questions&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all): a thread for basic questions, such as “How often should I dry-clean my blazers?” or “What are your favorite black heels <$100?”
* [Recent Purchases](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=recent+purchases&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all): a thread to show off any recent purchases as well as provide a small review for the community
* [Hair, Makeup, Skincare, Fitness and Fragrance](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=hair+makeup+skincare&sort=new&restrict_sr=on): a thread dedicated to questions and comments regarding hair, skin, makeup, fragrance, cosmetology, nail polish, fitness, and other related topics;
* [Theme WAYWT Submission](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=flair:submission&sort=new&restrict_sr=on) (see Thursday as well): every week we offer a fun thread dedicated to dressing according to a theme, which is announced on Thursdays. Tuesday is the submission thread to present your outfit;
* [General Discussion](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=general+discussion&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all): free discussion of any subject
* [WAYWT (What Are You Wearing Today)](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=what+are+you+wearing+today+flair%3Aweekly&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all): a space for users to share a photo of a recent outfit for constructive criticism from the community;
* [Random Fashion Thoughts](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=random+fashion+thoughts&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all): a thread for users to share any fashion thoughts or inspiration
* [Simple Questions](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=simple+questions&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all);
* [Outfit Feedback and Fit Check](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=outfit+feedback+and+fit+check&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all): similar to WAYWT, but can be used to get a community response regarding things like “does this shirt fit correctly?” rather than a critique on a full outfit. **Please save all posts along the lines of “What x should I pair with this y” for this thread!**;
* [Theme WAYWT Announcement](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=flair%3Aannouncement+theme+waywt+author%3Acatterfly&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all): a thread to announce our weekly Theme WAYWTs and to discuss/share inspiration
* [General Discussion](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=general+discussion&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all)
* [Find Fashion](https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=find+fashion&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&t=all)
* [Should I or Shouldn’t I…](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=should+i+or+shouldn%27t+i&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all)
If the moderation team feels that your post is better suited to one of the recurring threads, your post will be removed and you will be asked to instead post in a more appropriate venue. If something is truly time-sensitive, exceptions may be made.
## Is your post just a search away?
Before you make a post, use Reddit’s search feature. Try different keywords related to your query and read through those. You’d be surprised at what’s come up before!
You can also use Google. If you’re looking to identify a specific article of clothing, try Google reverse image search or using keywords related to the brand, color, fabric, pattern, etc., of the article in question (if that fails, try posting your question in one of the daily Simple Questions thread or Find Fashion on Friday).
If you’re looking for a general article (i.e., a black leather jacket instead of a specific black leather jacket), try using a style aggregator. Sites like [Shopstyle](http://www.shopstyle.com/) and [Polyvore](http://www.polyvore.com/) allow you to input search terms (from the very general to the very specific) and sort within a price range to help you find what you’re looking for. If it’s shoes you’re after, try [Zappos](http://www.zappos.com/) – they have an impressive range of search attributes to help you find shoes, even for the difficult-to-fit customer (wide or narrow calfs, short or long legs, wide or narrow feet).
Make sure you’ve taken advantage of all of these resources before making a separate post asking for help finding an item.
## Have you checked out the sidebar?
FFA’s sidebar contains some of our most valuable bits of wisdom – [guides](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/search?q=flair%3Aguide&sort=new&restrict_sr=on) on everything from [fit](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/1jfgz8/a_practicalvisual_guide_to_fit/), [body type](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/1dbji7/body_type/), [selling your garments secondhand](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/18yq49/a_short_guide_to_selling_secondhand_usa_bias/), [how to dress for a wedding](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/xnbb8/wedding_guest_guide/) and [how to find a bra that fits](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/16qn7h/hello_ffa_im_a_bit_new_to_this_sub_but_i_noticed/) (also check out /r/ABraThatFits for advice on how a bra *should* fit). There are also links to our resources, such as lists of [FFA Reviews](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/17le0m/ffa_reviews_master_list/) and a link to the [FFA Blogroll](http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/xgd8n/ffa_blogroll_v1/). Take a peek through the resources that exist there – they can be immensely helpful!
## Quick help – our IRC channel
Looking for immediate help? Check out our IRC channel, where you can chat realtime with other users about fashion (and other stuff). Join our IRC channel [here](http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=femalefashionadvice) – and do try to make your username the same as your handle on Reddit!